X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kensino
    • Sep 2007
    • 3.8.x

What is wrong with vBulletin?

What kind of crap is this? I spent 1.5 hours writing a blog entry for my forum. I clicked on the save button and it told me I was not even logged in. I assume it must have timed out or something.

So I clicked the back button to copy my blog and then go login. But the blog was completely erased. What kind of program doesn't store that in the cache????? Everytime you press the back button it deletes all of the text you typed.

Now, who is going to pay me to spend another 1.5 hours writting the article over again? I think I should get a discount on my next license renewal. That's complete crap. I'm so pissed, and I have every right to be.
  • veenuisthebest
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.8.x

Has happened with me too so I know the feeling.

Writing for 1.5 hours non-stop would obviously expire your session due to inactivity.

For future, you should increase the Session Timeout setting in "Cookies and HTTP Header Options" to say around 1800 seconds (1/2 hour) or maybe more if you really want (not recommended setting it to very high though).

By the way, the Back button on my Firefox has always restored the write up only when I used New Thread or New Reply. It doesn't work for Quick Reply though.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

You should also click on the 'Remember me' box when you log in so your session is kept in a cookie.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kensino
        • Sep 2007
        • 3.8.x

Actually, I do click that button every time. But it doesn't work. I still get logged out of the forum. I don't know why it doesn't work.

But there should be some safety mesaures in place I guess. To prevent loss of data when it refuses to save it.

Comment

• Kensino
          • Sep 2007
          • 3.8.x

The thing is now, everytime I log out of the ACP is logs me out of the forum as well. It never use to do that in previous versions.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

There is no option to log out of the Admin CP. As for the initial problem the fix is to click on 'Remember me' when logging in. This will work if you are not blocking cookies and you have not made a modification to break this.

FWIW this is not new. This has always happened with every version of vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kensino
              • Sep 2007
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              There is no option to log out of the Admin CP.
              I have one. It's in the upper-right corner of the ACP. Says "Log Out". Maybe its a mistake IDK.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

My bad. You are right. Never used it.

However that is by design. Logging out of the Admin Cp will also log you out of the forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  My bad. You are right. Never used it.

However that is by design. Logging out of the Admin Cp will also log you out of the forums.
                  Try using it just once,Steve! It won't log you out from the forums.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Right again. I'm going to bed now.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• symbol.software
                      • May 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kensino
                      What kind of crap is this? I spent 1.5 hours writing a blog entry for my forum. I clicked on the save button and it told me I was not even logged in. I assume it must have timed out or something.

So I clicked the back button to copy my blog and then go login. But the blog was completely erased. What kind of program doesn't store that in the cache????? Everytime you press the back button it deletes all of the text you typed.

Now, who is going to pay me to spend another 1.5 hours writting the article over again? I think I should get a discount on my next license renewal. That's complete crap. I'm so pissed, and I have every right to be.
                      Just write the article in a text editor like notepad then copy/paste it to vbulletin when is ready. This way you make sure you won't lose your article if the session times out.

Comment

• RedHotChili
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 3.8.x

A habit I've gotten into after being burned so many times like this is to do a 'select all' and 'copy to clipboard' (CNTRL+A, CNTRL+C) whenever I type out a long post and right before I hit the Preview Post or Submit Reply.

I also use Firefox, mainly for the on-the-fly spell checker.

Comment

• Sheen
                          • Nov 2008

Thats too bad, I do it too, one time I was writing rules and regulations for my forum which took ages, because some forums use a simple number sequence/bullet points where as I use paragraths lol.

However your right it should be something to think about in the next version to save what you typed if you press the back button.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

I think the issue is only with the wysiwyg editor. The standard/basic editors shouldn't have this issue.

Comment

• 1QuickSI
                              • Oct 2001

Been thre done that one too many times and it is a massive PITA. Now I copy everything I do to a clipboard prior.

Would be nice to have the editors be ajaxed and have it auto save as draft so you can come back to it Then of course allowing drafts to be controlled by user group and allow X amount of saved draftrs by group would be the icing on the cake!

Update found this!!!
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              Running custom version of vBulletin based on v4.2.5
                              PHP 7.4.14 :: MariaDB 10.5.8

Comment