Having trouble backing-up the current db prior to moving servers.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedHotChili
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

Having trouble backing-up the current db prior to moving servers.

Trying to follow the manual's instructions for backing up database:

1 Telnet/SSH into the server where your vBulletin is currently installed. We will call this machine1.
    2 Type:

mysqldump --opt -Q -uUSERNAME -p DATABASENAME > /PATH/TO/DUMP.SQL

In this line, you should change the following:

* USERNAME – this is the username you use to access MySQL. It is specified in your config.php file.
    * DATABASENAME – the name of the database which your vBulletin is installed into. It is specified in your config.php file.
    * /PATH/TO/DUMP.SQL – this is the path to the file that will be outputted. If you are unsure what to put here, simply use vb_backup.sql or something similar.

Once you press enter, you will be prompted for the password you use to access MySQL. This is also specified in your config.php file.
    3 Once it has returned to the prompt, verify that DUMP.SQL exists in the directory you specified. If you did not specify a full directory, the file will be in the directory you are currently in.
    My current db is on my local machine in localhost. Can I use phpMyAdmin to do this? If so, should I follow the instructions in the manual for backing-up the db via phpMyAdmin? http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...myadmin_backup

Or, since this is really a server move operation, should I try to follow the specific instructions for server move instead? If so, do I go directly into mysql to enter the above command? 'Cuz I don't see how to do this in phpMyAdmin.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

You can use the shell command or phpmyadmin. The shell command is the recommended and most reliable backup method. The instructions for a server move call for a backup too. It's the same exact backup procedure whether or not it's for a move.

Comment

• RedHotChili
      • Dec 2008
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      You can use the shell command or phpmyadmin. The shell command is the recommended and most reliable backup method. The instructions for a server move call for a backup too. It's the same exact backup procedure whether or not it's for a move.
      Thanks Jake.

Was able to finally get it done.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...