X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wacnstac
    • Jul 2000
    • 3.6.x

How to sniff out a rat

I have a private moderator's forum. It is protected by both permissions and a password. I have reason to believe that some who shouldn't have access to it, do have access somehow. I've always been careful to mask moderators who have been let go so they can't even see the forum any more. The only way someone could be in would be if one of my current mods has given out his username and password and the moderator's forum password. Any way to solve such a mystery?
  • Blackbook
    • May 2009

Originally posted by wacnstac
    I have a private moderator's forum. It is protected by both permissions and a password. I have reason to believe that some who shouldn't have access to it, do have access somehow. I've always been careful to mask moderators who have been let go so they can't even see the forum any more. The only way someone could be in would be if one of my current mods has given out his username and password and the moderator's forum password. Any way to solve such a mystery?
    check the IP's of your moderators. See if they all match up.
    It's an omen...

Comment

• wacnstac
      • Jul 2000
      • 3.6.x

More than likely one of the moderators IP's is shared with multiple users. With 30+ mods, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Comment

• hitmancode47
        • Jul 2008
        • 3.8.x

Check the IP Addresses of each moderator, if they are all within the same range, then its most likely not them. If however it doesnt match it might not necessarily be a breach, just question the moderator and ask them for an explanation.

Also, you may want to re-check the permissions of your non moderator users for the moderator forums, make sure all the options are set to "No"
        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Mary303
          • Oct 2006
          • 4.0.x

A few suggestions ...

- Could you have a forgotten access mask set? I've been bit by that before. If you are on 3.8.2+ the last selection under Admin CP > Users > Access Masks. Run that and see what turns up.

- How often do you see evidence that something new has leaked, something posted since X time? Can you do an elimination process to work out who is leaking? If a moderator is sharing access and/or just copying or repeating information from the forum, you may have to radically prune access.

- Segregate the mod material that is being leaked to a subforum in management that only a very few of the mods can see. If there are still leaks you have narrowed the list of suspects.

- Create a new mod forum and move everything into it. The access mask search would make this unnecessary, I think. But if there are wonky permissions somewhere they will be to the old forum, not the new one.

If you do one or both of the last two and still have leaks, I'd say the issue is a mod, not permissions settings. I have had people leak material that I never thought would do such a thing. We really don't know people as well as we sometimes think we do.

Good luck!

Comment

• wacnstac
            • Jul 2000
            • 3.6.x

Good suggestions. Thanks everybody.

Comment