Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rage Wraps
    • Sep 2009

Forum password question

Hey guys, I am not that great with vBulletin, but I am learning as I go. I am trying to setup a forum and give it a password. I have information in there that I want only a few people to see. How do I do this? I have 3.8.4 installed right now.
    sigpic
  • Joovilhar
    • Jan 2005

Go to the Admin interface, and then go to the Forum Manager (it is under Forums and Moderators.) Pick the forum you want to allocate a password to, and click on it. Then in the next screen that appears, Scroll down to Access Options, and enter a password in the first field, which should be "Forum password". Apply your options and you should be done.

Alternatively, you can use the Forum Permissions to allow visibility / participation of a forum, based on group membership. This means that only certain people can use that particular forum - and there is no way to circumvent that easily, because there is no password to spread around. This is one reason I like manipulating this sort of thing via access permissions instead of forum passwords - users cannot cheat the system so easily.

You can also configure such forums to be visible only to the people who are entitled to use them, so the regular visitors (or guests) will not even know they are there. If you want to try this, set up a scrap forum on your vBulletin and experiment with it (don't forget to log out when testing, so you can see what it looks like to a guest or search engine!) It will teach you a lot.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...