X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xms
    • Mar 2005

IIS 7.5 (Win 2008 R2) + Vbulletin = w3wp.exe crash

Hi All,

Ever since we upgraded our servers to Windows 2008 R2 we've been getting the following error messages in our event logs relating to ONLY our vBulletin websites:

Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd0eb
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000051da0
    Faulting process id: 0xdf4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca2e4e16aab154
    Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 11c920a0-9ab7-11de-9287-000c296aa92b
    Plus (at the same time):
    A process serving application pool 'forum.xxxxxx.co.uk' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '2328'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.
    This is with MySQL 5.1 + PHP 5.2.10 or 5.3.0 installed on the server as FastCGI.

I've tried changing many PHP/IIS/MySQL settings but as they are the same settings used on our old Win 2008 server, I dont see why we are suddenly getting problems.

Once again, I'd like to stress that this is ONLY happening on vBulletin websites out of all the other PHP websites (including very heavily used OpenX ones).

Strange thing is that w3wp.exe is whats crashing rather than php-cgi.exe which occasionally happens when there's bad php coding. So I did a little hunting on the net and came back with this. Could this possibly apply to any vB ajax code?

EDIT:

Oh i should also add that it happens at random times (rather than constantly). Its almost like someone is using a 'feature' on the site (say for example editing a thread title the ajax way) and it crashes.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

On Windows servers you should install PHP as a FastCGI with thread safely disabled. Otherwise you can get strange errors.

If you continue to have problems then I recommend you post in the Server Configuration forum.

Comment

• xms
      • Mar 2005

Dealing with this via the Support system now, but PHP was installed using Microsoft's "Web Platform Installer" which does the complete install and config for you. Things have got MUCH better for php+windows recently.

As I mentioned in the support request all other PHP sites work flawlessly on our servers (Drupal, OpenX, SMF Forum, Custom coded sites). It is JUST the vBulletin ones that cause these crashes, so there is definitely some kind of incompatibility there.

Will update this thread when it is resolved.

Comment

• xms
        • Mar 2005

For anyone else who also has this problem, I've managed to narrow it down to the followin option in the Application Pool configuration settings:

It may also apply to the 64-Bit version of IIS on Windows 2008 (non-R2).

No idea why it doesnt like vbulletin, but all is working perfectly now.
        Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...