X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joyfulmiller
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

Forum notifications with full text?

When a user subscribes to our forum with daily notifications, he receives an email with just a link to the thread, not the actual text of the thread.

Is there a way for our users to subscribe to a forum and get emails with the full text of any new posts. This is the main reason why we purchased vBulletin for our homeschool association. We're not concerned with our members actually returning to the forum itself to read the posts. We want them to be able to be notified with the full text of any new threads.

Please, oh, please tell me that this is possible.
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

It sounds like they are subscribing to a forum, not a thread.

When subscribing to a thread they would get the text of the first reply message since visiting the forum.
    Not any messages afterwards until visiting again.

Edit: Unless there is a digest version that I have not found.
    Last edited by steven s; Sat 8 Aug '09, 2:59pm. Reason: rephrased
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• joyfulmiller
      • Jun 2009
      • 3.8.x

You have so got to be kidding!

Do you know of any modifications that could do this? I am so in trouble if not. The forum is the MAIN draw for our homeschool association, and if doesn't work by notifying with full text, then I totally wasted our $200 on this software and I'm going to have to start from scratch with another software.

There just has GOT to be some hack to get this to work.

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

So you want members to receive every message posted without visiting the forum?

Sounds like you want a mailing list and not a forum.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• joyfulmiller
          • Jun 2009
          • 3.8.x

In a way that's what we want. Some of our members like to receive the forum posts in emails, but some like to visit the forum. The main thing is that the forum is integrated with our aMember software. vBulletin and aMember had this integration available which is one reason why we went with vBulletin.

We were previously paying for a homeschool-specific forum software that allowed instant/daily/weekly subscriptions to the forums, and it was a digest of the posts' full text. That's what we were hoping to get with vBulletin, even if we couldn't have the instant option. At least we wanted the full-text.

When we purchased vBulletin, I apparently misunderstood what vBulletin offers. The instant thread notifications with the full text are the kind of thing we want to have for the forums themselves.

At this point, I think we'd be willing to pay for someone to make code modifications to make that possible. Where would I go to find someone to do that?

Comment

• Alfa1
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

Try this: Email Integration (New Threads/Replies by and through email!)
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...