How to copy threads from one forum to another (on the same site)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grover
    • May 2001
    • 3.8.x

How to copy threads from one forum to another (on the same site)?

Hi,

I am going blank, because I can't figure out how to copy threads from a certain forum to another forum on my site:

Categorie: Apples
    Forum: Yellow Ones
    Forum: Yellow Ones - BACKUP

I just created a new empty forum called 'Yellow Ones - BACKUP' and I want to copy all threads from 'Yellow Ones' to this forum to back it up.

So, how do I do this? Mysteriously there is no option to 'copy threads' in my moderation dropdown menu in forumdisplay.

I need to make these kinds of backups NOW, because I am in the process of restructuring my forums. What do I overlook?
    How much do you love XenForo?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is no mass copy function for threads. You would have to manually copy each one or have custom coding made. Sorry.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Grover
      • May 2001
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for your quick Answer Wayne.

It's very hard to understand why this isn't in. Making backups of individual forums becomes impossible this way. See also this suggestion: Forum Manager: Copy Forum

I am in the process now of restructuring my forums for the first time in 8 years and vBulletin doesn't offer me any tools to copy threads for backup purposes. I can only let my Moderators move threads and stuff in the hope that everything works out fine and they don't make any mistakes... why not give us the tools to COPY threads en masse instead of MOVING them?
      How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

As I said in the other thread, you're the first to request it. Having reorganized large forums in the past, I have never felt a need to copy large amounts of threads. I just moved them to their new forum.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ShackMaster
          • Apr 2006
          • 3.5.x

Let me be the second to ask then.

I have a very good need for it right now, but do not have the capability to do it. It is frustrating having to copy all of the threads individually.

I suspect if the option were available, it would be use much more frequently.
          http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums

Comment

• bigwater
            • Jan 2007

There's not really a need to make copies of forums unless you just want duplicate content. Pull a backup of the site before you start moving threads. Check them as you go along and if things are good, pull another backup from time to time. If something goes awry, go back to the last backup and start from there. Moving threads is generally pretty safe, so you shouldn't have any problems.
            Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• ShackMaster
              • Apr 2006
              • 3.5.x

That would be merely your opinion and does not speak for everyone else.

I have a very specific and particular need for it right now... as I painfully copy each thread. Restoring only the one forum alone with its own threads is much easier and much more logical than restoring a backup from the database and losing posts in between. It ALL depends on what the situation is.

Comment

• ShackMaster
                • Apr 2006
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                As I said in the other thread, you're the first to request it. Having reorganized large forums in the past, I have never felt a need to copy large amounts of threads. I just moved them to their new forum.
                I don't think he was the first by a long shot... a search shows several inquiries about this. Apparently there are several vBulletin users who could use this feature.

Comment

• bigwater
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ShackMaster
                  That would be merely your opinion and does not speak for everyone else.

I have a very specific and particular need for it right now... as I painfully copy each thread. Restoring only the one forum alone with its own threads is much easier and much more logical than restoring a backup from the database and losing posts in between. It ALL depends on what the situation is.
                  That's fine. I was certainly not trying to discount your needs for duplicating the content... I thought I made that clear in my original reply. My only point was that moving threads is generally not a dangerous procedure, but ongoing backups throughout the procedure would make it fail safe.

At the risk of earning your ire again, I would suggest that making major changes to your site such as mass moving threads around really should be done at periods of the lowest activity on the site, with the board turned off to users.
                  Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• Nick
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 3.8.x

I find it coincidental that this is being asked. This question was just asked on my forum and I didn't even realize that this isn't possible. I guess more people would (and want to) use it more than we assume.

Is there a way it can be done with a query? I presume it could become very messy and might not even be possible.
                    Regards,
                    Nick

Comment

• CaptainBlue
                      • Oct 2004
                      • 3.6.x

I would like to be able to take a backup of just one forum which is our technical data library and create a copy in my Mods and Admins area just in case someone deletes some of the threads in the original and one of the Mods needs to copy threads back over.
                      --
                      Richard Morris

Comment

• shanghaiexpatman
                        • Mar 2009

I'd love to have that feature as well. I agree with the admins that it's an unusual thing to need, however so it is low demand and low priority.

My situation is that I really do want duplicate content. Because I need to make a Chinese version of what's in English. Easy way to do that is to make a mass copy and then pass it off to a translator to edit one at a time.

Tonight, I will be copying and pasting to create about 4,000 new threads (by hand). Fun of being a forum mod.

Comment

• zhorakiev
                          • Oct 2015
                          • 5.1.x

I feel your pain. Has this changed in 2016? I really need that option. For example I am trying to create local forums. I break down forums by USA - Region - State - Local Area.... Topics in each local area are like "real estate", "banks", "grocery stores" etc.... which are redundant in every local area. I wish there a function where I can say, OK these topics, multiply it by many local areas, not just one, but all of them. That will be super cool to have!

Also another function that is sooo needed. Why can't I share a topic. Lets say someone wants to post something that will be linked from regional topics. So let's say I post something on USA level. I want that topic to show up in every Region - State - Local area. That will be great addition as well!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...