• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 0lly
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

Error importing database

EDIT: Sorry I think this belongs in the Server Configuration section

I am trying to move my forum to a new server/domain, which I have done successfully a few times before, but it's not working this time.

When I import the database backup file I get this error;

SQL query:
    /*!40000 ALTER TABLE `adminhelp` DISABLE KEYS */;

MySQL said:
    #2006 - MySQL server has gone away
    And then it has only imported 2 tables, 'access' and 'adminhelp'.

I tried doing it with BigDump but I got an error with that too.

Is there a way to fix it or another way to do it? Thanks
  • vbplusme
    • Sep 2008
    • 3.7.x

If its a big database, its most like running out of memory (MySQL is) or mysql is not configured correctly. You should contact your hosting support to see about bumping both PHP and MySQL memory settings (they work together).

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

The most common reasons for the MySQL server has gone away error are:

1. Is that the server timed out and closed the connection. By default, the server closes the connection after 8 hours or 28800 seconds if nothing has happened. You can change the time limit by setting the wait_timeout variable when you start mysqld via your server's /etc/my.cnf as well.

2. Another common reason to receive the MySQL server has gone away error is because you have issued a ``close'' on your MySQL connection and then tried to run a query on the closed connection. You can check that the MySQL hasn't died by executing mysqladmin version and examining the uptime.

i.e. to check mysql uptime, in shell as root user type:

mysqladmin -u root -p version

3. You can also get these errors if you send a query to the server that is incorrect or too large. If mysqld gets a packet that is too large or out of order, it assumes that something has gone wrong with the client and closes the connection. If you need big queries (for example, if you are working with big BLOB columns), you can increase the query limit by starting mysqld with the -O max_allowed_packet=# option (default 1M) or via max_allowed_packet variable in your /etc/my.cnf file and restarting mysql after you edited your /etc/my.cnf file. The extra memory is allocated on demand, so mysqld will use more memory only when you issue a big query or when mysqld must return a big result row

4. Or simply your host restarted MySQL. I'd contact your web host and ask him to look into this.

Links to additional information:

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• 0lly
        • Feb 2007
        • 3.6.x

Thanks for the help.

I just asked my host to do it for me via SSH and it works now

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...