X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nxs
    • May 2004

Where is the users current IP stored?

Hi everyone,

We are running two servers on the internet, one game server and one forum server.

Both are under constant DDOS attacks, while the forum server is coping (thank god for linux and IPTables) the game server is under alot of stress.

My plan was to do an export from the "USER" table, listing the username and ipaddress field. Then import this into the 2nd box's firewall and use a whitelist so all other traffic is blocked apart from forum users, however it appears that DHCP users are unable to connect.

On closer investigation it appears the "ipaddress" field in the "users" table doesn't get updated when the user browses the forum, I guess this IP address was their registration IP.

So, is the users current IP address stored in a different table ? or would I be able to add a SQL UPDATE ipaddrerss into users where username=$name (or similar) somewhere into a php plugin/template ?

Thanks in advance - I really hope someone has a good idea here so we can block this DDOS once and for all.

Regards
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

There are no current ips. IPs are only stored with a post, other times ips are only stored temporarly in the session table while browsing.

Comment

• Nxs
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
      There are no current ips. IPs are only stored with a post, other times ips are only stored temporarly in the session table while browsing.
      Ok thanks for the info, I guess the cleanest way then is to add a custom field to the users (hidden) then use a plugin to update that when they hit the forumindex page.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...