How do I change / specify the "from" email address for messages sent from vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KalJer
    • Oct 2008
    • 3.7.x

How do I change / specify the "from" email address for messages sent from vBulletin?

Hi there,

Emails sent out from vBulletin (confirmation email, new user notification, etc) are coming from a server email addresss [email protected] rather than the address I specified in: VB Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details

Is there any way for me to change this? I'd like them to send from [email protected]

Thanks,
    KJ
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

This is the from address:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Webmaster's Email

Comment

• KalJer
      • Oct 2008
      • 3.7.x

Thanks for the reply Jake,

As I stated in my first post, I already specified an address there, however the emails are not showing up as being sent from that address, rather they come from a server address in a format outlined above.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Maybe there is a customization that is causing this. You can quickly determine this by temporarily disabling your customizations. Try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style. If the problem goes away on the default style then you know it's a style problem at which point you need to systematically revert your custom templates to isolate the problem.

If you still have the problem then try disabling your plugins:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Plugin/Hook System

Also run a file check to look for customized files. Upload the original files if any problems are reported:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Comment

• KalJer
          • Oct 2008
          • 3.7.x

Jake-

Although some files have since been customized, the problem was still being experienced on a fresh install of vB running the default skin (I'm running it on a test server trying to evaluate some products and bluehost before adding them to the main forum and/or possibly changing hosts)

Thanks,
          Jeremy

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Maybe it's just a behavior of your SMTP server. You can consult with your host about this, but I don't have any specific recommendations for things to check.

Comment

• KalJer
              • Oct 2008
              • 3.7.x

Thanks for your help Jake, I talked to the host and they made a suggestion, we'll see if it works!

Comment

• DarkTygur
                • Jun 2009

This thread is a couple weeks old, and I'm going to guess that KalJer got it working. But I wanted to add a comment for the sake of anyone that comes across this later. I suspect that maybe the "Enable '-f' Parameter" option may have been able to fix the problem.

Comment

• KalJer
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 3.7.x

Your assumption is correct, it's now working 100%

Comment

• GameTechie
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 4.1.x

How did you get this working? I am having the same problem and have not been helped by anyone yet.

I tried the "Enable '-f' Parameter" option, I even tried SMTP with different emails, still either the email only comes from a nonexistent email that is shown as [email protected].

This is on a fresh install of vBulletin 4.1.7 with no plugins or add-ons. Both the webmaster e-mail and contact emails have been set from the start to one specific e-mail which it is not using when sending out emails, or the notification system doesn't work at all. This is a security risk and I'm hoping that I can get this fixed before I open up my forum again.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Aug 2002
                      • 5.7.X

vB uses the server for it's email. Assuming you have not disabled emails in the Admin CP or in config.php, then if there are problems the issue is either with the server itself or on the receiving end.

Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

Plus - this is the vB3.8 forum, please post in the correct one.
                      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• GameTechie
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                        vB uses the server for it's email. Assuming you have not disabled emails in the Admin CP or in config.php, then if there are problems the issue is either with the server itself or on the receiving end.

Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

Plus - this is the vB3.8 forum, please post in the correct one.
                        Thanks, I did post in the 4.x.x forum but had no help or reply to my issue so I did a search and found this thread. I didn't even realize it was in the 3.8 forum.Sorry about that.

I tried all troubleshooting from the manual and so on and checked with host as well and they couldn't give me any suggestions. It's a waste now because after spending $200 I don't want to open the forums because of that security risk.. Not sure where to go next, I guess I'll keep researching....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...