• Show
Clear All
  • wearefamily
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

Domain Pointing & Login Problem...

Hi,

I have a main server, let's call it www.myserver.com

I plan to run multiple sites on this server like www.myserver.com/site1 www.myserver.com/site2 and so on, and have a different domain pointed to each site. I understand that I need a separate vBulletin license for each site.

I have a domain pointed like this:

www.mydomain.com points to www.myserver.com/site1/forums

If I visit www.mydomain.com my forums work properly, as I would expect.

However, if I type in www.mydomain.com/admincp to access the Admin Control Panel, I get the usual login which seems to work, but as soon as it says "thanks for logging in" it returns me to the login screen.

If I type in www.myserver.com/site1/forums/admincp the login works and I get access to the control panel.

So why do my forums work fine with the pointed domain but the Control Panel login doesn't work?

BTW, I only want to access my forums using the pointed domain. I'm not looking to have multiple domains point to the same instance of vBulletin as many people with similar problems have been doing. I'm stuck doing that now as I can't run the Control Panel from my pointed domain.
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

Please reset your cookie path and cookie domain variables. These should not be set unless you have multiple vBulletin installations on the same domain name. You can reset these using tools.php.

Follow these steps.

1) Upload tools.php from your "do_not_upload" folder. This should go into your admincp directory.

2) Load this in your browser by going to: yourforums/admincp/tools.php

3) Enter your customer ID.

4) Click on Reset Cookie Path and Reset Cookie Domain.

5) Delete tools.php from your server.

6) See if you can login.

Comment

• JamesC70
      • Dec 2007
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by wearefamily
      www.mydomain.com points to www.myserver.com/site1/forums

If I visit www.mydomain.com my forums work properly, as I would expect.

However, if I type in www.mydomain.com/admincp to access the Admin Control Panel, I get the usual login which seems to work, but as soon as it says "thanks for logging in" it returns me to the login screen.

If I type in www.myserver.com/site1/forums/admincp the login works and I get access to the control panel.

So why do my forums work fine with the pointed domain but the Control Panel login doesn't work?
      Because your forums are installed in a subdirectory (/site1/forums/), not in the root of your public domain.

Your cookie (as set in AdminCP) points to one location, but your server's forwarding is pointing somewhere else, and the cookie is lost in never-never land because of the forwarding. Cookies set by one domain aren't accessible by a different domain. (Or at least, they're not supposed to be!! )

If you enter your forum, then use the "Admin" link in the footer of the page, then the forum will always point you to the right page... and the cookie will be set properly.

Comment

• wearefamily
        • Jun 2009
        • 3.8.x

I tried both of those methods and neither worked. I still can't login.

When I looked at my optional cookie settings it listed:

/site1
        /site1/forums

as possible settings to use.

So it appears vBulletin is thinking of my site in terms of the full server path:

www.myserver.com/site1/forums

instead of my pointed domain:

www.mydomain.com

I've been avoiding playing with the cookie settings because of the warnings about incorrect settings making you unable to login.

Comment

• peterska2
          • Oct 2003
          • 3.7.x

Please follow the instructions in post #2

Comment

• wearefamily
            • Jun 2009
            • 3.8.x

^ I did follow post #2. Uploaded tools.php, cleared both as requested, didn't resolve the issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...