Do I need a fancy 3rd party portal or does VB offer a basic homepage?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedHotChili
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

Do I need a fancy 3rd party portal or does VB offer a basic homepage?

Sorry for the noob type of question, but I'm looking for a way to set up my site with a basic homepage that describes the site, has a slightly different header logo than the forums, has a log-in and registration features, and can carry ad space below.

My forum will be a private forum, exclusive to only registered users, meaning outsiders won't be able to peer inside. The homepage is the only page viewable to the public at large, and hopefully will get many hits from search engine queries.

Can anyone advise me here on the best solution for my needs?

TIA
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

vB WILL be offering a CMS when series 4 makes it's long awaitated release to the masses, hopefully in a matter of weeks.

Until then, there is nothing other than 3rd party software or something you can design and build yourself.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• RedHotChili
      • Dec 2008
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that vb had a very basic homepage with a standard log-in box.

Comment

• rsw686
        • Sep 2007
        • 3.8.x

You can use vbAdvanced CMPS, which is a free portal add-on. That is what I use for my site http://www.thereptilefile.com
        The Reptile File

Comment

• juanporro
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by RedHotChili
          Sorry for the noob type of question, but I'm looking for a way to set up my site with a basic homepage that describes the site, has a slightly different header logo than the forums, has a log-in and registration features, and can carry ad space below.

My forum will be a private forum, exclusive to only registered users, meaning outsiders won't be able to peer inside. The homepage is the only page viewable to the public at large, and hopefully will get many hits from search engine queries.

Can anyone advise me here on the best solution for my needs?

TIA

Don't use any vbadvanced or any other portals only for Vbulletin.

I recommend you use the wordpress or Joomla with bridges. They look super sharp and work really good. Plus it is very easy to add content. Those vbadvanced and other vbulletin specific plugins are not worth the time and do not look at all good.

an example of wordpress is here. adminaddict.com

Comment

• cellarius
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

juanporro, that might be right for you. But if the OP just wants a landing page and nothig else, this would be overkill.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...