what template do I edit to remove smilies from regular reply and quick reply?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jilly
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.7.x

what template do I edit to remove smilies from regular reply and quick reply?

I am trying to make a really low bandwidth style for my users to use at work, so that none of the normal flashy bells and whistles show up in threads and postbits to attract unwanted co-worker's eyes - so I wanted to know if there was a way to edit the smilies out of reply and quick reply in a template, since we have quite a few animated and flashy ones..
  • jilly
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.7.x

and post icons too, I guess..

Comment

• Biker
      • Oct 2003

Easier way. AdminCP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting Interface Options

You can hide the link for the smilie box and set the smilies displayed to 0.
      I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• jilly
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Biker
        Easier way. AdminCP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting Interface Options

You can hide the link for the smilie box and set the smilies displayed to 0.
        yeah, but that will hide the smilies for all templates, all the time - what I am looking it is to do it in a style, so that you can pick a style to use while you are at work, or on some other public computer where you don't want to attract too much attention, and use a very pared down style, but not remove the ability for anyone else to see smilies whenever they want.

Another idea would be a user cp option to turn all smilies on or off, I guess

Comment

• Biker
          • Oct 2003

Users do have the ability to turn off all images in UserCP.
          I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Just write a plugin at fetch_style (or is it style_fetch?) that says "if styleid=xx, then set the smilies option to off/false"

If you can't write it yourself, you should ask over on vb.org for help. (But first you might want to try to write it yourself.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• jilly
              • Apr 2001
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Biker
              Users do have the ability to turn off all images in UserCP.
              it doesn't seem to turn the smilies off, (smilies available for selectiong to add to a post) though, just the images in the posts..

Comment

• jilly
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                Just write a plugin at fetch_style (or is it style_fetch?) that says "if styleid=xx, then set the smilies option to off/false"

If you can't write it yourself, you should ask over on vb.org for help. (But first you might want to try to write it yourself.)
                I'm not quite that good of a coder - is there any guidelines for trying to write a plugin?

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by jilly
                  I'm not quite that good of a coder - is there any guidelines for trying to write a plugin?
                  Check the manual - Plugin System

I wrote one for someone else, but of course didn't save a copy for myself! It was something like:
                  PHP Code:
                  if ($styleid=='xx')
                  {
                  $vbulletin->options['whatever_it_was'] = 0;

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• DoE
                    • Sep 2007

I just wrote one up. All it does is check the Users selected styleid and if it matches the styleid you do not want to display the smilie box, the smilie box goes away. That's all it does though, for now. I'm still playing with it to make a few other things go away.

I'll convert it to a plugin and post it at http://www.vbcodex.com when I'm done with it.

Comment

• DoE
                      • Sep 2007

It'll take two plugins to remove both the smilies box, and the post icon box in the editors. I was hoping to do both with one plugin.

Personally, I would just edit the templates of the low bandwidth style:

to not show the smilie box:

style manager -> edit templates -> editor templates -> editor_smiliebox

Highlight the code and paste this over it:

Code:
                      <div id="smiliebox" style="display:none"></div>
                      To remove post icons box:

style manager -> edit templates -> post icon templates -> posticons

Highlight the code and paste this over it:

Code:
                       <input type="hidden" name="iconid" value="0" />
                      Neither of the above will actually save bandwidth, but the smilie box and post icon box will be gone in all editors.

If you would rather use the two plugins let me know and I'll post them at vBcodex.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...