X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Supersix
    • May 2009
    • 3.8.x

"whats going on - currently active users" module

There is a module titled "whats going on - currently active users" which shows all the users on your forum at any given time. on most forums Ive seen the moderators & administrators show up in this module in bold type with eveyone else non-bold.

My moderators & admin dont show in bold type. Is there a setting for this?

Thanks. Have an enjoyable Memorial Day
    vintage airstream|airstream forums
  • cellarius
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Edit the usergroups for admins and mods, and put into "Username HTML Markup" whatever HTML you like. To make the usernames bold, enter <b></b>.

Note: This will affect all displays of usernames, i.e. also in postbit, profile etc.

Comment

• Supersix
      • May 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thanks.

How is that different than:
      <span style="font-weight: bold;"> username </span> = username

or is it?
      Last edited by Supersix; Mon 25 May '09, 8:17am.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

You should use the <span> tags.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Supersix
          • May 2009
          • 3.8.x

can you explain to me why?

ie. <span> tags contain magical properties.....etc.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

You should use css to change your text properties. <span> with style="xxx" is how you would use css to change properties for your text.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Supersix
              • May 2009
              • 3.8.x

I appreciate the instruction however that doesnt answer my question.

WHY?

Id like to understand the reasoning behind the instruction.
              Thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

I suggest you do a Google search for HTML coding. There are plenty of references available.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Supersix
                  • May 2009
                  • 3.8.x

So you folks either dont know the answer or your "customer service"
                  is piss-poor indeed.

Just answer the question. It has to do with why I should use one code over another in the admin of your product.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

It has nothing to do with vB. You can use whatever you like as long as it works. We made no recommendation to you. However it has everything to do with proper HTML coding. If you want to learn how to code properly than this is going to require some learning on your part. Sorry you think this is 'piss-poor' but our job is not to teach you HTML.

Here is just one of thousands of links regarding the span tag:

W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• cellarius
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by macgregor
                      So you folks either dont know the answer or your "customer service"
                      is piss-poor indeed.
                      You really seem to be a well-educated kind of guy, after having your question answered really quick here.

Just answer the question.
                      The question that was related to the product has already been answered. Use whatever you want, both will get you the desired result. Lynne already pointed you where you might find additional information on why one might be better than the other.

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

Wow, I certainly didn't mean to get this sort of response. Go ahead and use b tags if you want, it really doesn't matter to me. But, if you have time, you may want to read up on proper html coding.

Comment

• Supersix
                          • May 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                          You should use the <span> tags.
                          Steve,

This is called a "recommendation" in my native english language...

and from your "team member" no less... pertaining to what tags to use in your product.

I am simply curious why you are recommending one over the other.
                          Is one better, more stable or safer than the other?

It has to do with what is best to use in vB....NOT about learning code.

This isnt brain surgery.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Lynne is not a team member or part of the staff.

This has already been answered for you by Lynne herself. We have also told you how to get more info on your owner. The rest is really up to you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Lynne
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by macgregor
                              Steve,

This is called a "recommendation" in my native english language...

and from your "team member" no less... pertaining to what tags to use in your product.

I am simply curious why you are recommending one over the other.
                              Is one better, more stable or safer than the other?

It has to do with what is best to use in vB....NOT about learning code.

This isnt brain surgery.
                              Yes, I *recommended* you use the span tags. It is a recommendation based on the use of proper html on your page. <b> tags will work, but css is the way to go since a lot of the old html tags (which <b> is) are being deprecated and replaced by css. If you do it correctly now, by using css, then you won't have to correct it later. Again, if you do a search on proper html usage, you can read up on this.

Also, I am part of the vb.org team, not vb.com team.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...