• 3.7.x

having trouble setting up my infraction system

I want to set up my infraction system so it goes like this:

at x points, they go on 24 hour moderated

at x points, they go on 3 day moderated

at x points, they go on 7 day moderated

at x points, they go on 30 day moderated

etc.

and I can't figure out whether it would be better/easier to just create these as regular usergroups, and have the users be moved to those usergroups, or create infraction groups?

If I just made them as regular usergroups, with moving to them at one point, will the people automatically move back to their normal groups, once their pooins expire?
  • jilly
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.7.x

also here's another issue I have - I have users who have bought 'paid' subscriptions that give them little extra perks, or put glitters in their postbits, and when I would put a member into the 'moderated' usergroup, their permissions from their 'paid subscriptions' group would override their moderated group, and so moderated basically had no effect unless we also go in and remove all their paid subscriptions, then add them back in once their moderation period is over. I am hoping to find a way around that too.
    If I make an 'infraction' group, will that automatically override ALL other usergroups, so there's no need for me to do anything else for a person to be moderated properly?

Comment

• Biker
      • Oct 2003

This is why you don't use secondary permissions that are greater than primary permissions.

Create a new primary usergroup that is for your "paid" customers. Then move them to that usergroup, and remove the secondary group permissions. That way, when you move them to the moderated group, they loose any special permissions until they're out of "jail".
      I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• jilly
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Biker
        This is why you don't use secondary permissions that are greater than primary permissions.

Create a new primary usergroup that is for your "paid" customers. Then move them to that usergroup, and remove the secondary group permissions. That way, when you move them to the moderated group, they loose any special permissions until they're out of "jail".
        I think it's not that simple, and maybe I am not explaining it right.. To support our site, we do it through donations, and people buy 'glittery' things that then appear in their postbit, for example if they pay $1.00, they are there for a week, $3 gets them a month, $5 gets them 6 months, etc. We have all sorts of standard glitters, like hearts, flowers, etc, then we have glitters specifically for each holiday, for example memorial day is coming up, and so we have a glittery flag, and if they buy the subscription 'Glitter Flag", then they get a glittery flag added to their postbit for the specified amount of time. In order to get the glittery flag to appear in their postbit, we create a usergroup called 'glitter flag', and when they buy the subscription to glitter flag, it leaves all their default memberships alone, and adds in glitter flag as one of their additional memberships. ANd the way they appear, in the postbit we have code that says 'if member is part of usergroup 117, then display glittery flag icon', and so the postbit pulls up the flag for them. We probably have over a hundred extra groups, I'm attachiong an average screenshot to give you an idea. But all those usergroups bascially just have the same powers as regular member, just gives them a way to use the paid subscription feature to get the glitter to show up.
        Attached Files

Comment

• jilly
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.7.x

so it that example above, the person has about 30 or so extra secondary groups, but there's no way to combine them, because they need each individual group in order to get their glitter they paid for to show..

Comment

• Biker
            • Oct 2003

Ahh. I see now.

Then you're fine. Because when they're moved to the moderated group, your conditional no longer applies.
            I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• jilly
              • Apr 2001
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Biker
              Ahh. I see now.

Then you're fine. Because when they're moved to the moderated group, your conditional no longer applies.
              no, it doesn't seem to work that way..they get moved to the moderated group, but their usergroup for glitter flag, which has post =yes, have social group = yes, overrides the moderated group. they have to be in a usergroup for the conditional to work. So I guess I'd have to go into each glitter/paid subscription usergroup and set everything to 'no', but that doesn't work, because some of the paid subscriptions get you bigger avatar size, bigger profile picture, bigger signature space, etc.
              So what I am hoping is that an infraction usergroup will override everything else they have

Comment

• jilly
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.7.x

anyone else have any opinions? Has anyone else set up infraction groups, and how did they work?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...