• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StarShaper
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.8.x

Upload Attachments via FTP

Hi,

I have several large files updating them from time to time.

I would like to upload this files with an FTP client. VB stores this files in a directory with names like 32.attach.

Is it possible to overwrite this files or will this corrupt the vB attachment system?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Overwriting an attachment outside of the vBulletin software will cause problems because there are database records which store information about the attachment. You should modify the post and use the Manage Attachments button instead.

Comment

• StarShaper
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Overwriting an attachment outside of the vBulletin software will cause problems because there are database records which store information about the attachment. You should modify the post and use the Manage Attachments button instead.
      So I have to use always the vB upload-script to upload a file and can't use FTP?

This is really frustrating.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by StarShaper
        So I have to use always the vB upload-script to upload a file and can't use FTP?
        Correct.

You could implement some other file download system that would work better with direct FTP uploads, but that would be a different application.

Comment

• StarShaper
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.8.x

Correct.
          Your're right. There are 4 database tables managing the attachments.

A problem is the stored filehash and the filesize. This will definitely cause problems, if the file is manipulated outside the vB system.

You could implement some other file download system that would work better with direct FTP uploads, but that would be a different application.
          I have not the spare time to implement a second working file download system.

How about vB 4? Will the attachment system in version 4 be more flexible?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by StarShaper
            How about vB 4? Will the attachment system in version 4 be more flexible?
            I don't know. But you can always post a suggestion to cover your bases:

Comment