X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goha
    • Mar 2004

Question regarding tagging

What does it means in the group permission: "Can Create Tags"
    If I set it to "no", then who the person can tag the thread? There are no things like "maintained list of allowed tags" and no controls like a list box to choose from, when tagging th thread.

If I deny users to create tags, then who and who will create them? and who users will use tage, which I created? I don't see UI for that.
    GoHa.Ru
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

They can only add tags that have already been created.

Comment

• goha
      • Mar 2004

but they still need to type the tag which they want to add? Type and pray, that it will match?

Nobody will memorize all tags, so, how do they know, which tags are allowed?

Is there any control like drop down list which they can use?
      GoHa.Ru

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

They can start typing and by default it will show tags that match theirs. Like for example, children, if someone started to type child, children would showup.

Comment

• goha
          • Mar 2004

thanks for the explanation.

However, this might be very hard if not impossible to use.

Imagine, that I wish to add the tag, that specify something, but I have no idea, if you created a word for this. Or I might be thinking about A-word, and you already created b-word tag... I will never find it.
          Also consider second language ppl..

From the other side, if I grant the right to create tags to everyone - it leads to huge mess, because ppl are using different words to specify the same idea, and therefore, it become much less usefull while searching..

Wish to say, that I am not quite sure, if I am understanding tag's general idea. Prefixes as idea area much more clean and straight forward.
          GoHa.Ru

Comment