• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMatt
    • Apr 2009
    • 3.8.x

Registration emails marked as spam in GMAIL

Hello,

Can someone please help me with this, my new users who are signing up are getting all their registration e-mails etc marked as spam in gmail!

I tested in yahoo and the email was accepted into the inbox, didn't go straight to spam.

Have I done something by using a gmail address as the webmaster address that will cause all the mail to go to peoples gmail spam box?

PLEASE HELP!!
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DrMatt
    Hello,

Can someone please help me with this, my new users who are signing up are getting all their registration e-mails etc marked as spam in gmail!

I tested in yahoo and the email was accepted into the inbox, didn't go straight to spam.

Have I done something by using a gmail address as the webmaster address that will cause all the mail to go to peoples gmail spam box?

PLEASE HELP!!
    Step 1 Open your ACP and look for "-f".
    Use it,might become better.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• dkon26
      • Jul 2007
      • 3.7.x

I have delt with this in the past from gmail. After much complaining to the web host, they fixed some things on their end and it worked. You wouldnt happen to have HG would you?

Comment

• DrMatt
        • Apr 2009
        • 3.8.x

Before I enable the -f feature, can you please explain to me how that may help my situation? I would just like to understand what it does before I enable it, thanks!

And also dkon, can you please explain what HG is?

Thanks!

Comment

• dkon26
          • Jul 2007
          • 3.7.x

Do you self host or are you hosting with a company? If you are hosting with a company, im just wondering if its hostgator. I have had issues with clients using hostgator and gmail.

There are several other possibilities.

1. Are you using the sendmail function or smtp?

2. Have you tried sending a test mail from the ACP to a gmail account?

3. If you have done number 2, have you looked at the source? If you do and find the line "neither permitted nor denied" gmail will almost always place your mail in the spam folder.

Gmail is more strict than yahoo, aim, hotmail, etc..

Comment

• aussiefooty
            • Nov 2008
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by DrMatt
            Hello,

PLEASE HELP!!
            Get them to add your emails to their safe list.
            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• DrMatt
              • Apr 2009
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dkon26
              Do you self host or are you hosting with a company? If you are hosting with a company, im just wondering if its hostgator. I have had issues with clients using hostgator and gmail.

There are several other possibilities.

1. Are you using the sendmail function or smtp?

2. Have you tried sending a test mail from the ACP to a gmail account?

3. If you have done number 2, have you looked at the source? If you do and find the line "neither permitted nor denied" gmail will almost always place your mail in the spam folder.

Gmail is more strict than yahoo, aim, hotmail, etc..
              I have shared webhosting with an online provider, it's not hostgator although it may be a reseller?

Also I just sent an e-mail to a hotmail address, and it hasn't come through at all. Not in the spam folder or in the inbox, seems to be taking a hell of a long time!

Here is the report from the send mail via Diagnostics menu

Pertinent PHP Settings
              SMTP: localhost
              sendmail_from: None
              sendmail_path: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

Help
              Results
              No errors were returned while attempting to send the email. Check [email protected] shortly to confirm you've received the email. If you don't receive the email, try sending the test to a different address. If that fails, check your mail server's configuration.
              How do I look at the source? Do you mean the source code of the e-mail?

Also I realise that people can just add my site to their safe list, however many people don't do that and never bother coming back!

Comment

• dkon26
                • Jul 2007
                • 3.7.x

You may want to try to change the webmaster email to an email address from your domain name. You should also try the -f option and if that does not work, you can request that your host check their mail settings/error logs or contact gmail to determine why you are being flagged as spam.

EDIT: I have looked at your mail server address. The -f option might be your best bet as it will force your webmaster email address as the sender. Try that and then send another email to a gmail address via ACP.
                Last edited by dkon26; Thu 16 Apr '09, 1:42am.

Comment