X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x YNWA x
    • May 2007

Help defeating spam

Hi
    I get silent (profile) spammers registering every day, at least 30 users per day, sometimes 50.

I currently have my site set to moderate all users, but it is becoming hard work to verify people and sometimes I have got fed up and deleted all, then I have deleted a real person by accident. I use www.stopforumspam.com to check the IP or email, if it is on there I reject them and add to the ban list (IP and email).

I did get 40,000 email addresses from them but vb only lets you add a few thousand.

Anyway I would like to turn this off and I am going to do a robots text file to stop the search engines view profiles anyway, so their web addresses on their profiles would be useless because they would not be followed.

My question is:
    Is there something I can add to my forum which would for example for the 1st 10 posts all posts go into a moderation queue? So I can then spot spammers and delete them. Also maybe for the first 20 posts to not allow posting of web addresses?

This way real users would get their posts on quick and spammers would get spotted without me having to spend ages looking to see if they are a spammer.

Thanks
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots

Also, How to require a set number of posts before adding additional permissions explains how to use usergroup promotions to control permissions of different usergroups.

Comment

• phreak79
      • Feb 2008
      • 3.6.x

Would it be possible to automatically add the stopforumspam.com data to all new installs? That'd be a handy feature.

Comment

• peterska2
        • Oct 2003
        • 3.7.x

For feature requests: Posts in Suggestions & Feedback

For customization: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...