Can I make it so my admins can't take over my site?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vital Signs
    • Mar 2009
    • 3.8.x

Can I make it so my admins can't take over my site?

I just uploaded and am very new to vBulletin. I am setting up the forums and have gotten help from fellow group members. I have made one an Admin with my full powers however I am afraid they could boot me and take over the group and all my hard spent cash invested so far .

I know I can adjust their permissions but I am not sure what I click to limit them from changing my status. So I have full power and they are 1 under me.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Vital Signs; Thu 12 Mar '09, 12:33pm.
  • jmurrayhead
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vital Signs
    I just uploaded and am very new to vBulletin. I am setting up the forums and have gotten help from fellow group members. I have made one an Admin with my full powers however I am afraid they could boot me and take over the group and all my hard spent cash invested so far .

I know I can adjust their permissions but I am not sure what I click to limit them from changing my status. So I have full power and they are 1 under me.

Thanks for any help.
    The config.php file has a section for you to setup yourself as a SuperAdmin. Just enter your userid there and no administrator will ever be able to change your profile/group memberships/etc.

Also, you might want to limit them from changing styles, forums, add/remove plugins, run maintenance, etc...it all really depends on what you need them for.

As always, never add someone as an admin that you don't trust.
    No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• bigwater
      • Jan 2007

Also, don't give them server level access so they will not have the ability to change your config.php file. Restrict all sensitive information such as domain registration login and associated email passwords, etc. If they were try to pull a mutiny, it's easy enough to reject it if they don't have the required information to pull it off.

Keep your passwords strong, and to yourself, and above all don't give the keys to the kingdom to anybody you aren't 100% sure you can trust, and have the ability to kick in an instant if it turns out you can't trust them after all.
      Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• Vital Signs
        • Mar 2009
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by jmurrayhead
        The config.php file has a section for you to setup yourself as a SuperAdmin. Just enter your userid there and no administrator will ever be able to change your profile/group memberships/etc.
        Great, I want to do that. Where do I find the config.php file, is it on my hosting site in the file manager? Is it a run program that will set me up as a super admin like you describe? New to all this but trying my best to learn. =(

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

It is in the 'includes' subdirectory of your main vB forum directory.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Vital Signs
            • Mar 2009
            • 3.8.x

I found the file, and the section

// ****** SUPER ADMINISTRATORS ******
            // The users specified below will have permission to access the administrator permissions
            // page, which controls the permissions of other administrators
            $config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators'] = '1';

do I replace the "1" with my username?

Thanks
            Last edited by Vital Signs; Thu 12 Mar '09, 12:23pm.

Comment

• jmurrayhead
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vital Signs
              I found the file, and the section

// ****** SUPER ADMINISTRATORS ******
              // The users specified below will have permission to access the administrator permissions
              // page, which controls the permissions of other administrators
              $config['SpecialUsers']['superadministrators'] = '1';

do I replace the "1" with my username?

Thanks
              Nope, your userid which most likely is '1' if you were the first user created with vBulletin, is a numeric value. Just search for your user in the Admin CP and view your profile to see what your userid is.
              No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...