Social Groups - Unapproved messages notice, but no actual messages to approve?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jilly
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.7.x

Social Groups - Unapproved messages notice, but no actual messages to approve?

UPGRADED recently to 3.8.1 and this issue was also occuring in 3.8RC2 - a group owner has notofications that she has a group with messages awaiting aproval, yet there are no such message in her group, this has been verified by admins.. she has logged out, cleared cookies, logged back in, etc, and still the messages persist... any ideas?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Those counters might be wrong. Unfortunately there is no feature to update those counters. You need to manually query the database. Run this query (backup first):

UPDATE user
    SET gmmoderatedcount = 0
    WHERE userid = X

Where X is the userid of the user with the problem.

Comment

• jilly
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.7.x

I ran that query, and after I ran that, here is what happened..

O.k...I cleared everything, shut down and restarted the computer....and they are still there! Strange!
      So it didn't help, but then.....

UPDATE! I just totally shocked myself! I figured it out...I happened to be reading another post where a member said she "unjoined" all the social groups due to lack of time....I recall her joining my group at one point,and a light bulb went off!..... so for ha ha's....I went back and found her messages in my group, and deleted one of them....and my notifications changed.....so, I deleted the others....and BINGO....notifications are cleared!!!
      Thanks for the help....I am totally amazed I figured it out....but perhaps this will help you in the future if it happens to someone else.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

So FYI if anyone else has this issue this fix worked for us...

Comment

• nzjo
        • Jul 2006
        • 3.5.x

I have the same problem - just happened - all of a sudden 6 messages to approve - but there are none there to be approved

I wonder if there is a way for me to see if someone has left a group like how you did? No one has told me but is there a way I could check?

I have stuck a thing up about this in the bug tracker so :FC: they can fix it

Comment

• jilly
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.7.x

I don't think they have any default functionality built in to do this yet, but you could maybe post a thread and ask if anyone has recently left a group, then you can check and see if their messages are the ones causing the approval message to appear when there aren't any actual messages to see anymore..

Comment

• nzjo
            • Jul 2006
            • 3.5.x

I don't think it is that anyway as mine is for the moderator social group - and no one has left or joined it

Comment

• nzjo
              • Jul 2006
              • 3.5.x

oh if anyone has this same problem I know how to fix it now

Click on the message that comes up saying 6 unapproved messages or whatever - this will take you to the particular social group with the 'supposed unapproved messages' - now click on all threads in that social group - then in the drop down menu choose 'unapprove messages' - so it unapproves ALL messages in that social group - then click on all the threads again and choose in the drop down box 'approve messages' - all fixed

Comment

• TNCclubman
                • Sep 2008
                • 3.7.x

awesome thanks!!!!

Comment

• Schnee
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 3.8.x

Wait, this is bonkers. There are HUNDREDS of messages in our social groups, are you saying we need to go through it page by page to find them?

And that if a member leaves a group it "unapproves" all their messages?

Comment

• Marc Smith
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by nzjo
                    oh if anyone has this same problem I know how to fix it now

Click on the message that comes up saying 6 unapproved messages or whatever - this will take you to the particular social group with the 'supposed unapproved messages' - now click on all threads in that social group - then in the drop down menu choose 'unapprove messages' - so it unapproves ALL messages in that social group - then click on all the threads again and choose in the drop down box 'approve messages' - all fixed
                    I know this is an old thread, but figured I'd throw in I had the same problem and it was driving me nuts. This worked for me.

Comment

• Alfa1
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of these notifications? I have not been able to get rid of them in the last years.

Where in the database are they stored? gmmoderatedcount = 0 so that cant be the issue. All group messages either have the state deleted or visible. So there really is no moderated message in the table vb_groupmessage
                      I have the exact same issue with picture comments.
                      Last edited by Alfa1; Sun 27 Nov '11, 6:22am.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...