Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobFerrari
    • Feb 2003

Images don't display in IE 8

I'm sure this has been brought up already, but can't search short "IE 8" and "Internet Explorer 8" doesn't hit anything.

Problem is simply users moving to IE 8 over past couple weeks can't view images anymore.

I have 3.8.0, but upgrading to 3.8.1 now. Thanks.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Do you have a link where we can observe this behavior?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• RobFerrari
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Do you have a link where we can observe this behavior?
      umm, just users with IE 8, have you tested out vB with IE 8 yet? I'm on IE 7, so haven't reproduced yet. The reports just started coming in 2 weeks ago, but has been happening more and more each day as more move to IE 8. I think the images show as the Red X, all post images. I would also think it doesn't impact IMG tag images, just uploaded.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Haven't had any problem viewing images in IE 8 while browsing vBulletin sites. This is why I asked for a link so I could see the problem first hand.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• RobFerrari
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Haven't had any problem viewing images in IE 8 while browsing vBulletin sites. This is why I asked for a link so I could see the problem first hand.
          sorry, I didn't know what you meant. I will PM you the info. thank you.

Comment

• tony adams
            • Sep 2004

has this been solved? - i'm getting the same problem

Comment

• RobFerrari
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by tony adams
              has this been solved? - i'm getting the same problem
              I still have the problem, but only some users on IE8. haven't been able to figure out root cause.

Comment

• Mannen
                • Aug 2006
                • 3.5.x

This is just super stupid. We all have perfectly working forums, and all of a sudden IE8 commes along, and it´s a evertyhing-but-IE8-fault. I have 4 browsers working perfectly whit my forum, one that desn´t. This is just another MS-BS type of problem, thet they should sort out, not us. I will always recommend FF on by board.

Comment

• RobFerrari
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Mannen
                  This is just super stupid. We all have perfectly working forums, and all of a sudden IE8 commes along, and it´s a evertyhing-but-IE8-fault. I have 4 browsers working perfectly whit my forum, one that desn´t. This is just another MS-BS type of problem, thet they should sort out, not us. I will always recommend FF on by board.
                  fact is most users are on IE and MS doesn't care less if vB users can see images or not. I don't like it, but the way it is.

Comment

• tony adams
                    • Sep 2004

i have a board that gives this problem - well it does to any member who uses ie8 - however if i give access to the tech people here they can see all the images - i have installed a test board - imported some images and they work fine for the same members who cannot see them on the main board

so is it vb, M$ or what - as you say M$ will do nothing - so its down to who???

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

Can IE8 users view images if you have a totally default style? Does your site validate on http://validator.w3.org/ (if it's just a logged in problem, you must view page source and copy/paste it in the Validate by Direct Input tab).

Create a new style with no parent:
                      • Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Style
                      • Parent Style: No Parent Style
                      • Title: Default vBulletin
                      • Allow User Selection: Yes
                      • Save

Then browse the site using that totally default vbulletin style - do you still have the same problem?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Mannen
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 3.5.x

The Q is why we all of a sudden have these problems - or more correctly why the users have problems. If i get myself a faulty product that doesn´t do me good, i turn to the manufacturer. In this case, people whit a faulty product turns to us, asking to fix our forums. I just dont buy that the IE8 cant accept this or that mod or add-on. Thats just stupid.

We have to ask ourselvs: How is it that we see 4 working browser that accept any stupid mod we add and one non-functional? Is it the browser or is it our forums?

For me, i advice my users to go for FF or even chrome. Some posters talked about Apple soldiers, but i see a couple of troopers from the M$ squad myself...

Comment

• tony adams
                          • Sep 2004

been there done all that Lynne - its covered here

seems to its time vb started their own thread on this - its no use to me that people from here can come to my board using ie8 and see my images - i appreciate the work they have put into my problem but its not solved - its further frustrating that it can be solved

i can solve it - my test board works perfectly - same server - same vb - same images and posts - seems to me that an old database may be a problem - a new one created after ie8 was thrown at the machine seems to work perfectly

all i did was create a test board and impex a few bits over to a new database - but thats not an answer if only for the reason that impex does not move everything - albums for example - i can do that but its a right pain

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

I've installed IE8 and did some testing. I have no problems viewing images of my liver forums, on this forum and an two test forums. The only things in common are:

- None of these forums have third-party add-ons (with the exception of the Arcade on one)
                            - All templates are original (except for ad location templates on one)
                            - All forums have IE7 compatibility turned on

I did have one support ticket where this problem occurred, but that customer had add-ons.

Conclusion: This does seem to work fine with substantially default vB installations. It would also appear that changes to the db add-ons ares the most likely cause of this issue.

What I suggest is that people post the third-party add-ons they have to see if there is a common thread.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tony adams
                              • Sep 2004

my board has add ons but whenever that has come up in the past the solution is -

create a new style and turn off all add ons - if the problem goes away its a style or addon problem - if it does not then ????????

i have followed that advice and the problem persisted

are you saying that disabling add ons is not enough -

and further - having created a test board where i can view images - i can then add styles from my original board - add all the addons that my original board is running and still view pictures

so with respect how are style changes and add ons causing images not to show on my main board but are fine on my test board

i accept that people from here have been to my main board and seen the images - screen grabs are posted here - but i and members cannot see them - there must be a reason - finding it is the difficult bit

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...