• Show
Clear All
  • minx
    • Nov 2003
    • 3.8.x

2000+ core.17644 files at 50M each in my forums dir

Hi..

any one else have this...

My host informed me my space is running out, so i checked the forums for log files etc and in the forums dir i find 2000 50meg+ files named core.17644 etc etc all named core.# with a number... any ideas?

happened last night, perhaps over the course of a few hours, I'm stumped at the moment, needless to say i deleted them.

please advise, thanks
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Those are core dumps, I believe they can be used to debug the php/apache core dump. However I'm not sure how useful they are to you specificly. If I had to guess you could delete most of them.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Dec 2000

It's caused when a program crashes, my guess in this case is apache.

You can run

gdb httpd core.1234

which should load the core file and then type
      bt

This should print an output of what crashed.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• minx
        • Nov 2003
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
        It's caused when a program crashes, my guess in this case is apache.

You can run

gdb httpd core.1234

which should load the core file and then type
        bt

This should print an output of what crashed.
        thanks, i'll give it a go... my host told me it's when a script/php uses too much memory and dies, i installed a vB plugin 2 days ago, well 2 actually, perhaps it's this, i have the core.dumps slowly returning, so i have disabled the recently plugins and will try your suggestion, cheers

Comment

• WayneH
          • Feb 2008
          • 3.5.x

I have got the same problem but all the files appear to be in our /public_html/banner directory. There seems to be 3.6GB of them and it has taken us over our disk usage quota

I am currently desperately trying to delete them and get our site running again.

Comment

• minx
            • Nov 2003
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by WayneH
            I have got the same problem but all the files appear to be in our /public_html/banner directory. There seems to be 3.6GB of them and it has taken us over our disk usage quota

I am currently desperately trying to delete them and get our site running again.
            The problem only started for me a couple of days ago if that because of a new vB plug-in installed... i removed the plug-in and the problem went away... it was a server intensive plug-in, so i was right to assume it was that initially, if you have installed anything recently...disable it check and remove core dump files, also try Scott's suggestion to pin-point the exact cause, cheers and good luck

EDIT... and does Bracknell still have the under-pass system? god thats a soulless place...used to live there myself until the age of 21, moved away now thankfully

-M

Comment

• WayneH
              • Feb 2008
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by minx
              The problem only started for me a couple of days ago if that because of a new vB plug-in installed... i removed the plug-in and the problem went away... it was a server intensive plug-in, so i was right to assume it was that initially, if you have installed anything recently...disable it check and remove core dump files, also try Scott's suggestion to pin-point the exact cause, cheers and good luck

EDIT... and does Bracknell still have the under-pass system? god thats a soulless place...used to live there myself until the age of 21, moved away now thankfully

-M
              Hey Minx,

I have not installed anything recently as we are about to move hosts. Fortunately, whatever was causing the core file creation has stopped after I removed all the ones that were there.

And yes Bracknell does still have the under-pass system ... and yes it is still a soulless place ...

I much prefer my homeland ... Cornwall

Cheers Wayne

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...