Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skooby
    • May 2006

MySQLDump

I'm doing a SQL dump per the instructions in the manual so I can migrate my DB to a new server but I have a question (and I know this isn't a SQL forum but)...

Has anyone ever done this before? I ran the command and its basically spitting out data shooting down the Secure CRT screen (I'm SSH'd) for over 20 minutes. Everything it is shooting down the screen is unrecognizable (just looks like a bunch of random ASCII characters). The database is about 50 mb. Is this normal?
  • Lats
    • Mar 2002

Several times a day

Sounds like you've missed the file parameter, it should look something like this...

mysqldump db_name > backup-file.sql

The bolded bit is the file parameter.
    Lats...

Comment

• skooby
      • May 2006

Thanks Lats for the help. I actually put in a file name for it to back up to.

it seems like it has gotten to a point in the backup where the data is actually legible and makes sense (sql) and not just garbage data.

Should i re-do the backup once it finishes?

Comment

• Lats
        • Mar 2002

Thing is though, if it's shooting over the screen, it's not going to a file.

Post the mysqldump you used, without password of course.
        Lats...

Comment

• skooby
          • May 2006

Hey Lats, thanks brother I figured it out.... I forgot the >

you were right! once you said "if its shooting on the screen, then it isn't going to file," i realized what i did!

thanks!!!!!!

Comment

• Lats
            • Mar 2002

Well done!
            Lats...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...