X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooltechie
    • Jan 2009
    • 3.8.x

Promotions

I'm trying to understand what the difference is for the promotion type. Can someone let me know if there is an advantage to using primary usergroup over additional usergroup? Is it simply ease of organization or more than that?
  • bigwater
    • Jan 2007

The primary usergroup is the main group your user is associated with. There can be only one primary usergroup for each member.

Secondary usergroups are used to subdivide your primary usergroup members further. Say for example you have Registered Users as a primary usergroup, you may want to have an opt in forum for something like Adult Access, so you'd set up a group which would have permissions to that forum. When you get a request to be let in you'd add the adult access usergroup as a secondary usergroup for that user. The user is still defined to the rest of the membership as a Registered User, and the fact that they're a member of the Adult Access group is not apparent.

This is just one example of many different ways you can use secondary usergroups to refine your user's experience on the site, but the whole goal of secondary groups is to refine permissions granted to primary groups. It keeps you from having to keep up with individual permissions for every user who you might want to allow certain permissions not granted to other users. Just create a group with those specific permissions and assign it as a secondary group to those users.
    Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• cooltechie
      • Jan 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry, I still don't understand it completely.

Why promote to additional group instead of another primary group? If I set one custom additional group and one primary group with the same permissions, why use one over the other?

If a member is promoted to an additional group, should additional promotion be applied to the primary group or the additional group?

Comment

• bigwater
        • Jan 2007

Well, it's a subjective topic that you'll only start to understand once you start to use it. Secondary permissions to primary permissions become valuable once you start fragmenting what you want to allow your users to do.

I'd say that for now until a light comes on where you see how a secondary group could be a valuable addition to a secondary group, just use primary groups. Once you get a few thousand members all with different needs (your needs) you'll start to see where secondary groups will come in handy.
        Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• cooltechie
          • Jan 2009
          • 3.8.x

I tried the promotion using primary group and it seems to work without any problem. I will stick with this method for now until I fully understand how to promote using the other method. Thank you!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...