• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delxoz
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.7.x

Can I link two vbulletin forums ?

Hi

I have one questions and I didn't found the answer in FAQ and documentation and Google of course so I decided to ask you.Can I link two vbulletin forums ?

Regards
  • Sully90
    • Aug 2008
    • 3.8.x

What exactly do you mean?

If you mean running two instances of vBulletin on the same domain (i.e. http://www.example.com/forum/ & http://www.example.com/forum2/) then you will require two licenses per each instance of vBulletin.

If you mean integrating a fresh installation with a separate/old database, then yes. Just enter the database details in your config.php file.

Comment

• delxoz
      • Dec 2008
      • 3.7.x

Well I will give an example - Lets say that I have joomla site and vbulletin forum.When member register in my joomla site I want this member to be able to write in my vbulletin forum without to register.I think that people use this term "link" - "to link one site with vbulletin forum" So I have two vbulletin forums and is it possible to link them,to use common database for users,passwords and etc ?

Comment

• Sully90
        • Aug 2008
        • 3.8.x

Yes. It is possible to merge databases (user accounts, etc.) from a CMS to vBulletin (such as Joomla.) However, I'm not sure of the method to do this, but I do believe a modification for this does exist over at vbulletin.org.

Here is one I found, however it is rather outdated and may not work with 3.7/3.8.

Again, it is possible to have two instances of vBulletin (requiring two licenses) to connect to the same database. Just enter the database details into both config.php files (on each vBulletin installation) to connect to the same database.

Comment

• glennybee
          • Feb 2008
          • 3.7.x

There seems to be a bridge available for most of the popular forum scripts but not vbulletin, which I think is strange.

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensi.../forum-bridges

Comment

• delxoz
            • Dec 2008
            • 3.7.x

If I use same database for both sites (of course that I will buy two license ) I am not sure what will happen when you open a new topic in the one forum - maybe the topic will appear in the other forum also...And I will have in the both databases topics which don't have to be there.Example : I have two forums one for games and one for hardware,If I open topic for newest game this topic will be recorded in the both databases but hardware forum don't need this record ...

I want to bridge these two forums.Only users to be the same but obviously this will be a tough one...

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

This is going to require a lot of custom coding which would not be supported. You can try asking about this over at www.vbuletin.org.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• gezuvor
                • May 2007
                • 3.8.x

I have a similar request that seems to tie in to this one, so hopefully I'm not thread-jacking.

If I have a vB install about red balloons and another one about blue balloons, they can use the same db. (Per Jacob B).

If I want to add a sub-forum about pink balloons to the red balloon forum, but hide them from the blue forum, is this possible? Are the admin settings for each forum saved outside of the database or will changes made in one admin panel affect the other?

Taking that question to the next step, if I wanted to include the blue balloon forums on my red balloon site, but have them below the red balloon forums, is that possible? Ditto for the inverse on my blue balloon site?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Note: That requires two licenses and I do not see two valid licenses for you. You need to correct that.

Once you have valid licenses then please post over at www.vbulletinorg for help with this.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• glennybee
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 3.7.x

The admincp settings are stored in the database.

Comment

• gezuvor
                      • May 2007
                      • 3.8.x

Dragging this thread back from the dead, I want to ask my question in another way:
                      - I have website.com vB install, using Template Normal
                      - I have website.mobi vB install, using Template Phone

Can these two domains share the same database and have different skins?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Is the content exactly that same, except for the style? If not, then this requires separate licenses.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• R1lover
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          Is the content exactly that same, except for the style? If not, then this requires separate licenses.
                          So you are saying as long as the content is the same then it's legal with one license? Because there are people running 15 domain names on one database out there with one license and I can't understand why vbulletin allows this.... I thought it was not legal to do so.

Please clarify as I have many domains that are pointed to other domains, but it would be nice to actually use the names as other people are doing, which seems it must be legal as they have been reported and are still doing it.
                          www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

• beishe8
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by R1lover
                            So you are saying as long as the content is the same then it's legal with one license? Because there are people running 15 domain names on one database out there with one license and I can't understand why vbulletin allows this.... I thought it was not legal to do so.

Please clarify as I have many domains that are pointed to other domains, but it would be nice to actually use the names as other people are doing, which seems it must be legal as they have been reported and are still doing it.
                            1 licence 1 installation 1 database > yes,legal
                            1 license 2 installation 1 database > not legal

1 license 1 installation 1001 domains pointing to that 1 installation > yes,legal

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• R1lover
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by beishe8
                              1 licence 1 installation 1 database > yes,legal
                              1 license 2 installation 1 database > not legal

1 license 1 installation 1001 domains pointing to that 1 installation > yes,legal
                              I'm not talking about domain pointers.... read it again if you don't understand.

I'm talking about using the same installation for many domain names.... not just re-directing a domain name to one install.

and I was asking Steve as well...
                              www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...