Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SFC
    • Jan 2006

Dont Want New Users To Be Able To send PM's

How do i set it so that a user cannot join and just start private messaging people? Maybe limiting their post count...?
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

The only way of doing this without using a plugin is to use the promotions system.

AdminCP > Usergroups > Promotions

Have a look there, it's pretty self explanatory.

If you want to go ahead with this method, it may be best to rename the "Registered users" user group to something like "New users" and then create a new user group called "Registered users"

So when people join, they will automatically be placed in "New users" and then when the promotion system is configured, they will then be promoted to the "Registered users" group, which will enable them to send PMs.

You will also want to disable PMs for the "New users" group. I suggest checking out the promotions system yourself, as it will seem much more straightforward than trying to make sense of what I've written.

- Rich

Comment

• jjrambo
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RichM
      The only way of doing this without using a plugin is to use the promotions system.

AdminCP > Usergroups > Promotions

Have a look there, it's pretty self explanatory.

If you want to go ahead with this method, it may be best to rename the "Registered users" user group to something like "New users" and then create a new user group called "Registered users"

So when people join, they will automatically be placed in "New users" and then when the promotion system is configured, they will then be promoted to the "Registered users" group, which will enable them to send PMs.

You will also want to disable PMs for the "New users" group. I suggest checking out the promotions system yourself, as it will seem much more straightforward than trying to make sense of what I've written.

- Rich
      while it seems simple in theory or maybe just to those used to the system I have a couple questions about this myself.

BTW I'm still using 3.6 but I'm sure it's no different than what 3.8 is, if it is well then damn.

I only want to make users have a secondary usergroup but the promotions setup makes you select a usergroup to move the user to. Do I just keep "registered users" in that option (the move to one).

and then at the top of the option select the user group that I want to be added as the secondary user group.

Also in the instructions for VB I can't seem to find the details about the promotions system, maybe I'm just missing it all together.......

could you explain it a little more please?

Comment

• jjrambo
        • Sep 2005

anyone able to help out with this one?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...