Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janslu
    • May 2006

Some thumbnails not displaying

I am currently using 3.8.0 rc2 and I have a problem with attachments thumbnails. Some large image attachments don't display thumbnails. Thumbnails are created in the filesystem properly (the same folder, appropriate name, display as jpg).

At first I thought this is because of too restrictive limits in includes/config.php and I have changed it. I have also modified attachments settings (size, limits) in ACP and rebuilt thumbnails. There were no errors reported and thumbnails for most of the files were recreated fine. But these specific images are still displayed in their full resolution. When I reupload them (creating a new topic), everything seems to be working fine. I have no errors in apache logs and no errors during rebuilding thumbnails...

Here's one of them:
    http://www.babyboom.pl/forum/udomowione-mamy-f253/mamy-domowkowe-18584/index1591.html#post3002867

Any hints on what I can do to have these images displayed as a thumbnail?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You don't allow guests to view that page.

Nonetheless this is most likely due to an add-0n, possible vBSEO.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• janslu
      • May 2006

Hi Steve,
      still the same. I have disabled all plugins and it still doesn't display thumbnail for this attachment (and few other). I can't open the forum, I'm sorry, but you would see just one anormous 3600x2400 image instead of thumbnail.

And the thumbnail is created in the filesystem. It's properly named, and displays just fine (when I change the extension) when downloaded.

Anything I can do to help solve the problem?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Then the next step is to disable or remove vBSEO, including the htaccess changes. This is definitely due to a modification.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• janslu
          • May 2006

Hi, I did turn vbseo off for a test and it didn't change anything.

I've digged into the code a little bit and found out that this happens in attachment.php on line 270.
          PHP Code:
              if ($vbulletin->GPC['thumb'])
              {

$attachpath fetch_attachment_path($attachmentinfo['userid'], $attachmentinfo['attachmentid'], true);
              }
              else
              {

$attachpath fetch_attachment_path($attachmentinfo['userid'], $attachmentinfo['attachmentid']);
              } 
          usually $vbulletin->GPC['thumb'] is 1. But when it renders these specific posts it is not set. There's no value.

Can you direct my further tests? Where should it be set to true?

Comment

• dirtycrow
            • Apr 2004

same issue.
            HI

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Sorry, I don't have anything new to add. This problem is from an add-on or modification. I do not have any idea which one though.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• dirtycrow
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Sorry, I don't have anything new to add. This problem is from an add-on or modification. I do not have any idea which one though.
                i've disabled all mods and / uninstalled them and followed all suggestions in this thread. issue still exists. it's driving me batty. where do i find the vBSEO settings?
                HI

Comment

• janslu
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  Steve,
                  I have disabled all modifications (vbseo included) and the issue didn't go away. Therefore I cannot accept your opinion.

The fact is that among many attachments I still have a couple images displaying in full version even though there is a corresponding thumbnail. Image dimensions exceeded includes/config.php limits at first but after I changed the limits and successfully recreated all of the thumbnails, I still see full resolution picture. If I change the condition in attachment.php (line 270) thumbnail shows up fine.

Why is the ($vbulletin->GPC['thumb']) not set in these few pictures even though it is set for more than 100 000 other? Where is this value set to true and what conditions apply? Is it possible that the number of attachments may play a role here (filenames are longer than 5 digits)?

I will be more than happy to provide you with full access and support. I need to fix this because it drives my users mad.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Okay. If you are convinced I am wrong and this is a bug in vB then please report this in the Bug Tracker here:

It won't hurt my feelings.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• dirtycrow
                      • Apr 2004

ok, i just noticed if the image is small enough the thumbnail is displayed. if the image is smaller then a thumbnail it if not displayed. this is only happening in the user albums pages.
                      HI

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...