X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigsoccer tech
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

Users Getting Randomly Logged Out

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for 2 weeks and my team can't find any problem. We didn't modify any code but about a month ago users on FF, mac and pc, started getting intermittently logged out. Myself included. I've cleared cache and cookies, I'm using default vb cookie settings.

Any ideas?
    The BIG Network: Soccer - Aussie Rules - Cricket - Travel - Lacrosse - Music
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Are you always checking remember me before logging in? What is the uptime of your mysql server after you get logged out? AdminCP > Maintainance > Diagnostics > System Information > MySQL Status > Uptime

Comment

• bigsoccer tech
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.6.x

Of course.

Uptime 13068244 Uptime_since_flush_status 11237836

could a bad index cause this?

Comment

• bigsoccer tech
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.6.x

I thought it was adblock but now it's happenign to me and i don't have that installed

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Reset the cookie path and domain to the default in vBulletin under vBulletin Options -> vBulletin Options -> Cookie and HTTP Header Options. These values only need to be changed if you have multiple forums installed on the same domain.

Make sure that the cookie timeout is 900 or more. This is the number of seconds someone can be logged in from their last activity before being logged out. Personally, I think 900 second (15 minutes) is too short so always set this to 1800 seconds.

Other than those settings, vBulletin really has no control over cookies. The RFC demands that the cookies be maintained by the user agent (e.g. the browser). If the user agent deletes the cookies or they get corrupted on the end user's machine then they will get logged out, even with remember me checked.

If you delete the contents of the session table, it will automatically log out any user that doesn't have remember me checked.

My guess is that the cookie path is incorrect and the user agent is not keeping track of the cookies properly.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bigsoccer tech
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Reset the cookie path and domain to the default in vBulletin under vBulletin Options -> vBulletin Options -> Cookie and HTTP Header Options. These values only need to be changed if you have multiple forums installed on the same domain.
            Never touched them. Changed them away and back to see if that would stick

Make sure that the cookie timeout is 900 or more. This is the number of seconds someone can be logged in from their last activity before being logged out. Personally, I think 900 second (15 minutes) is too short so always set this to 1800 seconds.
            Ours has always been between those numbers. Again we didn't change anything when this started.

It appears to be a firefox issue on mac and windows.

Other than those settings, vBulletin really has no control over cookies. The RFC demands that the cookies be maintained by the user agent (e.g. the browser). If the user agent deletes the cookies or they get corrupted on the end user's machine then they will get logged out, even with remember me checked.

If you delete the contents of the session table, it will automatically log out any user that doesn't have remember me checked.

My guess is that the cookie path is incorrect and the user agent is not keeping track of the cookies properly.
            i have manually deleted my own cookies a million times and it's still hapenning to me. I will go delete the session table like you just suggested.

Praying...

Comment

• lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
              • Apr 2008
              • 3.0.0 Gamma

Previously I have this problem too, many chances that you have problems with clocks on server.

If it's dedicated server make sure you have ntpd installed (and not "ntpdate on cron").
              Last edited by lim (x³-7x²) = ∞; Wed 24 Dec '08, 3:06pm.
              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

Comment

• bigsoccer tech
                • Apr 2000
                • 3.6.x

Yup, we triple checked that and all server times are synced up. Plus, that wouldn't make it firefox only.

We also checked that our pages weren't calling items across subdomains, like css files or anything, that could possibly confuse a firefox cookie.

Still nothing.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Check the values of your cookies immediately after you get logged out and before you log in again. Then check them after logging in and see if they match.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bigsoccer tech
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Off to find a sqlite viewer for macosx...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...