X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Siegler
    • Feb 2006
    • 4.2.X

Question about deleting users

I've got a question about what vB does in a scenario.

A couple of months I got attacked by that vulnerability I made a lot of noise about where folks were accessing accounts where the login name and password were the same. The upside of that is craploads of private messages were sent to my userbase. I'm not here about that issue, but the fallout. Hundreds of these PMs were to old user accounts which are no longer active. As such I got in the neighborhood of 1,000 bounce emails. I'm going through and removing them, as a lot of them haven't logged into the forums in five years or more.

This brings me to the question. When I delete these users, associated posts are changed to Guest. But it does open up the user name again.

What happens if someone signs up with one of the old names again? Do they get ownership of the old posts?
    Joe Siegler - Webmaster
    Black Sabbath Online
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Joe Siegler
    Do they get ownership of the old posts?
    No, because the userid on the post is changed to 0. This is what creates the Guest title.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joe Siegler
      • Feb 2006
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      No, because the userid on the post is changed to 0. This is what creates the Guest title.
      Sounds good to me. That's what I was hoping was going on. Thanks.
      Joe Siegler - Webmaster
      Black Sabbath Online

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...