X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJ™
    • Oct 2008
    • 3.7.x

Time is wrong?

I'm in eastern time right now, and it is 12:19PM.
    But on the bottom on the forums, it says it is 11:19AM.
    I have it set to GMT-5, so why is it saying that?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

vBulletin gets its time from the server. You need to set the timezone in the Admin CP to whatever you want the default to be and the DST settings should match whatever settings are on the server.

Then each user needs to set their local timezones/DST in the User CP. If you do this correctly and the server time is correct, then the correct times will show.

This also assumes that you have not modified the footer template to affect the DST detection code in it.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• AJ™
      • Oct 2008
      • 3.7.x

I mean on THIS forum, it's not showing up properly.
      I set it to GMT-5, and Automatically detect DST, and it still shows up 11, and not 12.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

The time here is fine for me. You need to set this in your User CP.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• AJ™
          • Oct 2008
          • 3.7.x

Hmmm... I would have to change it to a timezone that I don't live in for it to show the actual time.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

This is most likely a DST issue on your PC. At any rate the time is set correctly in these forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• AJ™
              • Oct 2008
              • 3.7.x

But if you look here, it shows the official EST clock.

And it is not matching up with the forums.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

The time is set correctly on these forums. This is an issue on your end. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• AJ™
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 3.7.x

If that's the truth, why isn't it detecting Daylight Savings Time?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

The time is set correctly on these forums. This is a problem in your machine or in your User CP DST settings. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Andy Huang
                      • Feb 2004

You need to set your time zone adjustment to your location, not to a fixed GMT modifier.
                      IE: I am in Vancouver, British Columbia, so I set it to Pacific Time, regardless of the DST status. Pacific Time have Pacific Standard Time (GMT -08:00) and Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -07:00). Then, at DST adjustment time, JavaScript running on your browser will detect the change in time difference, and notify the server to use a different adjustment.

How vBulletin works is like this:
                      Server, like any other computer, knows only one time, the time it is configured in -- IE: my server is configured to say Pacific Time even though it is physically located in New York.
                      When a visitor visits the forum, vBulletin grabs the time from the server, and then applies the DST adjustments to it based on your profile setting. If you've gotten a wrong location (IE: you've set it based on the GMT offset instead of the location, and you're observing day light savings), then your time will be wrong.

If you've set it to the correct location, and it is still wrong, you will need to perform system update and or contact your operating system's vendor to see about the fix. Because JavaScript running on your system is not reporting the DST change correctly to the server, and so your DST is not adjusted.
                      Best Regards,
                      Andy Huang

Comment

• bigwater
                        • Jan 2007

DST used to end on the third Sunday of October. A couple of years ago they moved it ahead one week to the fourth Sunday of October. It created havoc for all sorts of stuff, including Windows. If you had updated your Windows in the last couple of years you wouldn't be experiencing this now.

My Tivo kicked out of Daylight Saving Time last Sunday, but I know from experience that it will be okay come next Sunday. I'm sure your computer will be okay also.
                        Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...