• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jah-Hools
    • Jul 2007
    • 3.6.x

How to limit Super Moderators powers?

How to limit Super Moderators powers?

I wish to upgrade most of my moderators to super moderators, but want them to have restricted powers in a few select forums.

How can I set this? I have had a hunt around the various permissions and cant figure it out.

If this is not possible, can you please suggest an alternate way to allow my moderators to have 'global powers' on all but a few of the forums.

If there are any time saving tricks for this please also tell me them.

Many thanks in advance,

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You can adjust their permissions under Forums & Moderators -> Show All Moderators. However, you wouldn't be able to restrict them to one or more forum at this time. What you want to do isn't possible with Super Moderators without modifying the code.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jah-Hools
      • Jul 2007
      • 3.6.x

Thank you.

So how do I give them the power to say

Edit titles
      Soft Delete (leaving a who deleted message?)
      Edit posts (leaving a who edited by message)

In forums that they are not moderators of?

Also is there a way to keep track of their moderation actions? (like a "moderation log"?)
      So I can review their 'fairness' or any subtle axe grinding / issues they may bring to bear on their moderation work..

Reason.

Some of the more popular forum areas are getting too big to manage for the established forum leaders - Other moderators have offered to help out as they read these forums as well as their own and in addition some of them live in different world time zones - so are can keep their eyes open for offensive posts while the main moderators are asleep....

..but I don't want to visibly nominate the 'helping' moderators as full time moderators of those busy forums.. That would look bad. I just want to give these people extra powers within those selected very busy forums that need some help...

Thank you..!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

You would have to assign them as moderators to the forum in order to allow them to moderate or promote them to super moderators to allow global moderation.

All actions are stored in the moderator's log which can be accessed from the Admin CP under Statistics and Logs.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jah-Hools
          • Jul 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You would have to assign them as moderators to the forum in order to allow them to moderate or promote them to super moderators to allow global moderation.
          Gahhh.. that puts me in a bind..

I neither want to make them super moderators or make them publicly visible moderators of those busy forums..

I think I will have to make them moderators - then do a customization to remove evidence of that from the view of the forum membership.

(obviously that's unsupported)

All actions are stored in the moderator's log which can be accessed from the Admin CP under Statistics and Logs.
          Oh great! I will go have a look at that now

Thanks

Comment

• Jah-Hools
            • Jul 2007
            • 3.6.x

I just had a peek at the moderation log and there are about 40 user names in there that aren't moderators..?!!

There are records like "soft deleted visitor message" and "closed thread"

Should I be worried?

Do the people listed have some moderation powers by accident?

Comment

• Jah-Hools
              • Jul 2007
              • 3.6.x

oops ! I must have allowed people to close there own threads in one forum a while ago..

Comment

• Jah-Hools
                • Jul 2007
                • 3.6.x

OK I went for the individual forum moderation add..

2 questions though please:

1) Is it possible to switch off the 'reported posts to selected moderators, and keep it active for the rest?
                I want say 2 people to get reported posts and fix it so the rest of the moderators don't get them (if so how?)

2) where can I edit the Super Moderator powers?

Thanks,

Comment

• Jah-Hools
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Monday afternoon bump

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

1) It is not possible to limit this. All moderators will receive reported messages if it is set up to notify them.

2) This was answered in my first post in this thread:
                    Forums & Moderators -> Show All Moderators.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jah-Hools
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 3.6.x

OK great thanks I think I am getting somewhere!

1) Am I correct in assuming that Super Moderators DONT get reported posts from ALL forums? (fingers crossed you say yes!)

2) Am I correct in assuming that as a Super moderator I can grant the option for the moderator to only SOFT delete forum wide as Super Moderator but also nominate them as moderator of their OWN sub forum then allow them to HARD delete ONLY IN THAT FORUM - (thus enabling them to soft delete forum wide but hard delete only in their own forum? - And not get bothered by reported posts from everywhere - (which is the combination I am looking for!)

Thanks!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

1) Its an option.. "No Email", "Moderators Only", or "Moderators, Super Moderators, and Administrators"

It can be set under vBulletin Options -> vBulletin Options -> User Infraction and Post Reporting Options.

2) You would have to test this but I believe that Super Moderator permissions would override Moderator permissions in this case so they would only be able to soft delete.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...