Attempting upgrade from 3.7.7 to 3.8.11 (eventually to 5); unix file permissions errors

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenKay
    • Apr 2003

Attempting upgrade from 3.7.7 to 3.8.11 (eventually to 5); unix file permissions errors

I am attempting to upgrade from 3.7.7 to 3.8.11 (as a first step in eventually getting to 5.x).

I've uploaded a new set of vb 3.8.11 files to my test installation (copy) from my macbook pro. The problem is I can see that the unix file permissions are different than what they were on my original forums.

I'm getting server errors when attempting to run the upgrade.php script, such as:

Code:
    [Sun Apr 28 20:34:15.376688 2019] [:error] [pid 30892] SoftException in Application.cpp:651: Directory "/home/xxxx/public_html/forumtest/install" is writeable by group
    [Sun Apr 28 20:28:42.964747 2019] [:error] [pid 31313] SoftException in Application.cpp:261: File "/home/xxxx/public_html/forumtest/install/upgrade.php" is writeable by group
    Is there any documentation of what the correct file permissions are to be for all the various files and directories?
  • twistsol
    • Mar 2015
    • 6.X

Depending on your the user assigned to run your web server, either 644 or 755 should work. Your your attachments, avatars sitemap, etc, should usually be 777.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

You need to ask your hosting provider what the proper permissions should be there. Seems they should be 644.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StephenKay
        • Apr 2003

Just to tie up this thread:
        After some research, I ended up setting the permissions of all folders to 755 and all files to 644. I would assume that attachments and avatars folders etc. only need to be 777 if you are allowing users to upload into them (i,.e. storing files outside of the database) - which I am not. Anyway, it's working.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...