i'd like to do a fresh install (not update path) but keep existing database.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suiram
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

i'd like to do a fresh install (not update path) but keep existing database.

i have a very small vb v3.8.9 forum i use for testing the forum software. i plan to update this forum to 3.8.11 soon, and until now (10 years) have always just upgraded new versions. this final version i want to do a proper clean install. i use ZERO third party add-ons or anything else. it's just pure vb. so i should be able to reuse the existing database and install fresh, right? before i start, what's the correct procedure?

also 3.8.11 has higher php requirements and such, is there an updated vb_test.php i can run to make sure all aspects are supported? if yes, link please.

thanks,
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Suiram
    i have a very small vb v3.8.9 forum i use for testing the forum software. i plan to update this forum to 3.8.11 soon, and until now (10 years) have always just upgraded new versions. this final version i want to do a proper clean install. i use ZERO third party add-ons or anything else. it's just pure vb. so i should be able to reuse the existing database and install fresh, right? before i start, what's the correct procedure?

also 3.8.11 has higher php requirements and such, is there an updated vb_test.php i can run to make sure all aspects are supported? if yes, link please.

thanks,
    All you would be doing there is uploading a fresh set of files and pointing them to the existing database so yes it should work. You still need to run the upgrade script though.

Remember though that some add ons add tables and columns to the database, and those will still be there.

A properly written add on should have a full uninstall process which should remove unwanted database tables and columns, so it would be better to try this first. Not all add ons are written properly though.

Always back up your files and database before making any changes.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Suiram
      • Dec 2008
      • 3.8.x

0.) backup everything
      1.) delete all files on server (site is forum only) leave db which is not "file on server anyway"
      2.) copy fresh/complete vb files (minus do not upload ones) as structured in zip over to empty server directory
      and then?..
      3.) run install.php or upgrade.php?

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

You will need to retain the config.php file, or configure a new one. Otherwise the software cannot connect to the database.

Also be aware that if you have avatars, attachments etc stored in the file system, you need to preserve those too.

”Delete everything on the server” is rarely a good idea.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Suiram
          • Dec 2008
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
          You will need to retain the config.php file
          ah yes, that too. knew it just forgot to list it.

Also be aware that if you have avatars, attachments etc stored in the file system, you need to preserve those too.
          i only use the few vb avatars that come with it - no extras, and i always only used file attachments via db. (small forum so no speed issue at all)

”Delete everything on the server” is rarely a good idea.
          the only files in the correct (public) directory i talk about are the vb forum files. i don't want any old ones to be reused even by accident.

0.) backup everything
          1.) delete all files on server (site is forum only) leave db which is not "file on server anyway" and keep/remake config.php (attachments are in db not file system, no other extras via files)
          2.) copy fresh/complete vb files (minus do not upload ones) as structured in zip over to empty server directory and then?..
          3.) run install.php or upgrade.php or upgrade.php or upgrade_389.php?

confirm point 3 please just so i start it right. i'm ocd-like and even if all work, want to run the correct php from start. (upgrading from 3.8.9)

Comment