Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sevo
    • Dec 2007

Installing old forum on New host sever..please help

Ok so my older server shut down before I could do a host transfer. I was able to download all of the files from the sever and I was able to get the data base as well. I uploaded all of the filed to the root directory on the new host server. What do I do now?

I do not want to lose all of my content from my old forum,.I am afraid I will not be able to get it all back. Any advice is appreciated.

I did do a forum backup through the Admin CP of VB before the old server when down but I don't think they are any good.
    I had the old host get the the data bases as well but not sure what do?

Thanks

Chris
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You can find the instructions for moving servers here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...rsion=30811500

Basis are:
    1. Restore Database backup on new server.
    2. Upload vBulletin files.
    3. Edit the /includes/config.php to point to the database on the new server.
    I wouldn't rely on the backup system in the AdminCP as it is unreliable. We've removed the functionality from later versions.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sevo
      • Dec 2007

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. How can I tell if the data bases I have are corrupt or not good?

Also if they are bad have I lost the forum? I have all of the old files?

Thank oyu
      Chris

Comment

• Sevo
        • Dec 2007

I know this may sound stupid but what is Telnet/SSH I do not know how to use that.

I wish there was someone I could pay to figure this all out. I am good with VB but not this part of it

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Telnet is pretty much dead on the open internet since it is not secure. SSH is a means of connecting to your server. Your hosting provider can help with this.

Your host can restore your database for you. There are two ways to know if it is incomplete.. 1) Open it and make sure it ends with the word table. Depending on its size, you may need a large file editor like EmEditor. 2) Import it into MySQL and see if there are any errors.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

I've responded to your ticket. Only one of your backups looks complete when I view in a text editor. Your host will need to restore that one for you if you're unable.
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...