X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sverdios
    • Nov 2011
    • 3.8.x

Upgrade vB 3.8.7 to 3.8.11

I want to upgrade php and mysql on my dedicated server, and force to upgrade my vB too, because vB3.8.7 not support php 5.4 or higher, but im not good with this procedure and dont want to put off my forums, with the risk to make some bad. I need professional assitance better, if know spanish better too. Of course a pay for the work. I have license for vB4 but have alot of plugins addons and modificated templates in my forums and no time to fix possible compatibility problems, i thinks only upgrade to vB3.8.11. Wait for offers
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

While we (vBulletin) offer a professional upgrade service it only upgrades the forum software, you would have to have PHP and MySQL upgraded first, so it does not sound like what you need.

We do not allow solicitation of for hire work on this forum, but you can make such requests in the "Request for Paid Services" forum on vBulletin.org: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Be sure to read all sticky threads and announcements in the forum, it is "use at your own risk" and we do not monitor who may respond to you- you must do your own research on who to hire. People have been scammed before.

If you use a web host you may inquire if they can upgrade your PHP and MySQL and then use our professional install/upgrade service.

Comment

• sverdios
      • Nov 2011
      • 3.8.x

i have full control over the server, is dedicated, but if i upgrade php and mysql by myself, my forum go down, because dont support php 5.4? you can upgrade in other host and next move? without problems? i only need upgrade vb, i can upgrade php and mysql but how many time my forums must be offline?

yes, i have bad experiences with webmaster for that ask to official vbulletin support work

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

You have to upgrade one and then the other.

I suggest you upgrade MySQL first, then vB, and finally PHP.

You must do them all one after the other, and yes, your forum will have downtime, thats unavoidable [by any upgrade route].
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• sverdios
          • Nov 2011
          • 3.8.x

I never upgrade my forum is simple work? if upgrade to vb 3.8.11 all my templates, plugins and products still working? how can check that? i dont have many time this days to fix one by one if have problems, but need to upgrade php

Comment

• sverdios
            • Nov 2011
            • 3.8.x

hard work with mbstring and msqli but look all run good, upgrade msql 5.5 and php 5.6 and vb 3.8.11

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Good to hear.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by sverdios
                I never upgrade my forum is simple work? if upgrade to vb 3.8.11 all my templates, plugins and products still working? how can check that? i dont have many time this days to fix one by one if have problems, but need to upgrade php
                Templates should still work but plugins/products likely will have problems, unless they have been updated recently they may not be compatible with new versions of PHP.

Comment

• sverdios
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 3.8.x

Only need to update vbshout all other plugins run ok, but i have a problem, more tipical problem with spanish language xD, well i dont have many ideas about mysql, when update mysql maybe in the process can change the charset of server? now have im my language (spanish) no á or ñ appears, php charset are the same of the spanish .xml uploaded, iso-8859-1, but charset of mysql server is utf-8, that can be a problem? how can fix now

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

in the config.php file look for the line

PHP Code:
                    // $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8' 
                    try changing it to

PHP Code:
                    $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8' 
                    or

PHP Code:
                    $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'latin1' 
                    See if either works. If they don't, change it back to default.

Comment

• sverdios
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 3.8.x

I try with you sugestion and dont work neither

the strange, if i create a new thread and put a tittle with ñ or accent strange symbols appear, in the body of the post the same, if edit after in the body appear fine ñ or accent, not in tittles errors continue.

I restart in every change mysql and apache services, still the problem with charset

Comment

• sverdios
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 3.8.x

update, i change my php.ini and edit charset from utf-8 to iso, and worst, change to latin1_swedish_ci my database have this charset, well some prodcuts create tables in utf, but not problem, now accents and ñ appear fine, but all old post and tittles continue with problem, any way to rebuild? rebuild forum optimize tables but not rebuild or fix errors in post

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sverdios
                          rebuild forum optimize tables but not rebuild or fix errors in post [/I]
                          Those functions have nothing to do with the display. Optimizing tables will only clear out deleted data. Repair doesn't do anything unless the table is crashed and inaccessible. Neither performs any operations on how the table stores data.

1) All tables and all fields within those tables should be using the same character set and collation. You need to choose which one works best for you. There may be old content that needs to be edited after you make changes like this and you should back up your database beforehand.
                          2) You need to have the iconv and mbstring PHP libraries installed for character translations to work properly.
                          3) If you're using UTF-8 characters, you need to tell vBulletin to use UTF-8 in the AdminCP under Languages -> Languages Manager.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mjames
                            • Nov 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Is there any way I can upgrade my 3.8.7 to the latest 3.8x? I am willing to pay, but I don't see the option to do this. I don't think it's necessary to pay for vB5 if I want to stay on 3.8x. My forum is practically dead, but I don't want to close it down, yet I need to upgrader my PHP for security purposes and my current vB won't run on it. That is my dilemma...
                            Marc James
                            Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                            Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

If you log into your Member's Area, there should be a link to upgrade your vBulletin 3.X license to a vBulletin 4 license for $149.00. If you do that, you can upgrade to the latest vBulletin 3.X version or the latest vBulletin 4 version.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment