X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jagtpf
    • Feb 2015
    • 3.8.x

Upgrading to 3.8.9

Usual reason for many I guess - Host Server wants to run php5.5 and we currently rung vB 3.8.7 which is not compatible.

Question, if I may, vB 3.8.9 is described as in Beta - with the caveat in the Download as being (unstable) - Could someone explain what is unstable about the
    product. We'd rather not have to go to vB 4.2.2 if we can help it, given the amount of, often undocumented, tailoring that's been done over the years.

Thanks in antic.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

It hasn't gone through official QA. thus it is not "stable". If I were running a vBulletin 3 forum I'd be running 3.8.9 so I could take advantages of the php 5.5/5.6 enhancements/optimizations.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Same here. I've actually upgraded customer sites to it, and they have had no issues. "Unstable" is not really the most appropriate term in this case.

Go ahead and upgrade to it, you will still receive support.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
        • May 2000

Originally posted by Zachery
        It hasn't gone through official QA. thus it is not "stable". If I were running a vBulletin 3 forum I'd be running 3.8.9 so I could take advantages of the php 5.5/5.6 enhancements/optimizations.
        What are those enhancements/optimizations, Zachery?
        My vBulletin Forums:
        cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

PHP itself has made significant performance enhancements in 5.5 and 5.6 with the native opcode cache.

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
            Sal Collaziano commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. I have so many vBulletin installations that it's never fun to upgrade but a faster forum is always a nice thing...
        • jagtpf
          • Feb 2015
          • 3.8.x

Many thanks guys - That makes life interesting!

Chose between staying on v3 or making the move up to v4 :eeks:

What to chose and how to chose - that is the question .....

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
            Sal Collaziano commented
            Editing a comment
            When the time comes - I'm sure you'll love vBulletin 4. It took awhile, in my opinion, to be perfect - but it certain is now in my eyes. I also run a lot of vB3s but only because I don't have time to upgrade all of them and want to set aside a lot of time to do so. There will be a lot of template editing and plugin adding so I'm not looking forward to it. But vB4 is excellent...
        • jagtpf
          • Feb 2015
          • 3.8.x

Thanks Sal - we have decided to jump up to v4. 'Just' need to work out how to do it.

Comment

• makaiguy
            • May 2004
            • 3.8.x

Our server is still on PHP 5.2.17.

1) Is there any benefit to going to 3.8.8 (or now 3.8.9) over our current 3.8.7 other than PHP 5.4 support which we don't need at the moment?
            2) Is there any reason NOT to go to 3.8.8 (or now 3.8.9) due to our much earlier PHP version?
            3) Should we be pushing our server folks to update their PHP?
            Doug Wilson
            Administrator, Timeshare Users Group bbs

Comment

• jagtpf
              • Feb 2015
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by makaiguy

1) Is there any benefit to going to 3.8.8 (or now 3.8.9) over our current 3.8.7 other than PHP 5.4 support which we don't need at the moment?
              2) Is there any reason NOT to go to 3.8.8 (or now 3.8.9) due to our much earlier PHP version?
              Thanks for your comments and questions....

They are questions we've asked ourselves many a time! Especially given the work-load involved and the high risk of some well-loved
              plugins falling off.

Our Server is currently on PHP5.4

1) We are being asked to run on PHP5.5. Yes there is a 3 series that will qualify and thus allow us to maintain our current setups. But at what long-term cost. vB
              often maintain that the 3 series has reached eol, though some support is still currently available.
              If we haveto upgrade, surely for our benefit it makes equal sense to take that extra series step up.
              vB5 is a definite no-go as it is a million miles away from being suitable for our type of Forum.

2) As above.

3) We are not pushing our Host to upgrade. They have been asked by other clients to upgrade and have already tested a
              PHP5.5 on our Server; and it bust the Forum. Therefore they are, in a sense, pushing us.
              For them it's a case of Security and another eol argument (right or wrong).

Yes, we could move Host ....
              Last edited by jagtpf; Tue 16 Jun '15, 9:42pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by makaiguy

PHP has fixed several security issues after 5.2.X went end of life. PHP 5.3 is currently end of life and considered insecure for production servers by many. PHP 5.4 will go end of life at the end of this year.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jagtpf
                  • Feb 2015
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

PHP has fixed several security issues after 5.2.X went end of life. PHP 5.3 is currently end of life and considered insecure for production servers by many. PHP 5.4 will go end of life at the end of this year.
                  We've made the change. It seems for the better - though with some well-loved hacks falling by the wayside ....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...