Upgrade to vB4.2 - How to REMOVE vB3.8 Products & Plugins befor upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChiNa
    • Jul 2012
    • 3.8.x

Upgrade to vB4.2 - How to REMOVE vB3.8 Products & Plugins befor upgrade?

Hi Everyone, I have a simple question!

Right now I am having a vB3.8.7 forum which I upgraded from 3.8.6 not long ago. Now I am planning to Upgrade to a vB4 version, but I have more than 50 Products and Plugins installed!

My question is, now to upgrade to vB4. I really dont need any of these plugins, should I uninstall all of my products befor do the Upgrade to vB4?

Or can I simply Disable it using this line in my config.php: define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true); ..... ?
    And will this work for me to upgrade, and not have any of the plugins in my new forum?

And what will your advice be for me to do, when I wanna upgrade to vB4 from vB3.8! Whats the important things to notice!!

Thank you very much in ADVANCE!
    Check some of my work on vBulletin.org by CLICKING HERE!
    I dedicate my work and passion to those who have helped me and made me become the person I am today! From Coders, Designers to amazing Websites and Forums who always been there for me! Forever Greatfull!
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ChiNa-Man
    My question is, now to upgrade to vB4. I really dont need any of these plugins, should I uninstall all of my products befor do the Upgrade to vB4?
    Yes.

Originally posted by ChiNa-Man
    Or can I simply Disable it using this line in my config.php: define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true); ..... ?
    And will this work for me to upgrade, and not have any of the plugins in my new forum?
    No, all that will do is disable the hook system globally. All of the Products and Plugins will still exist and be there when you re-enable hooks.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• borbole
      • Feb 2010

If you do not need the mods then uninstall them before the upgrade. Another thing to bear in mind, a little unrelated to the topic but very important imho, is to make a backup of your db as well prior to the upgrade.

Comment

• ChiNa
        • Jul 2012
        • 3.8.x

Thank you Ace and Borbole! I had a little discussion on vBulletin.org about this not long ago! But I was also having the same opinion as you 2 gentlemen! Thank you very much for your answers,

God bless
        Check some of my work on vBulletin.org by CLICKING HERE!
        I dedicate my work and passion to those who have helped me and made me become the person I am today! From Coders, Designers to amazing Websites and Forums who always been there for me! Forever Greatfull!

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
          • May 2002
          • 1.1.x

I'd usually go with disabling them over uninstalling them, so that if it is an addon that stored data in the database, it will still be there if you upgrade the addon to a compatible version and use it again. Of course, if you aren't planning on using the addon again, you might as well uninstall it - it's just that uninstalling is a permanent choice and you can always do it later if you just disable it initially.

Comment

• DoDeH1
            • Jan 2008
            • 4.2.X

You can always check on www.vbulletin.org versions of your vb3 add-ons which might be written in vb4.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...