X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dan
    • Jun 2006
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Baba Wawa
    Oh my goodness, you're right! I forgot that last step. Will go try that now.

Thank you! </embarrassed>

- - - Updated - - -

Dan, I ran the upgrade script and my forum now has v. 3.8.5 installed. Thank you so much.

Checking out the Control Panel, I'm left with two more very small questions. First, I had made just a couple of very minor changes to the templates, mostly just to insert some space between forums as they appear on the screen. Will it be okay to leave these as they are, or do I really need to "revert" to the default templates?

Second, I guess I would have to pay something in order to obtain the 3.8.7 Patch Level 3? Am I likely to be okay without that?
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. It's been a while since I've worked with these vBulletin versions but I believe the navbar and forumhome templates have structural changes around 3.8.5 namely the adding of a security token to mark forums as read.

Try this: Browse your forum hit "Quick Links > Mark Forums As Read" on the navbar. If you see a security token missing error you should revert both those templates. If you don't receive the error you should be okay to leave the templates alone. If you feel comfortable editing the template yourself, you can do a compare and make the changes manually but I suspect you aren't very comfortable with code.

As far as running 3.8.5 - I wouldn't do it. 3.8.7p3 is the only 'old' version that's still seeing security patches from vBulletin. Upgrading you forum license I believe is $175. For me, the peace of mind knowing that security patches will come if there ever is an issue is well worth the $175 to me.

While we're talking about upgrades, with 4.2 I've recommended to my clients that they bite the bullet and upgrade to vBulletin 4. 4.2 is stable and light years better than 4.0. Unless you have custom coding, a custom style, or a plugin that you *need* and isn't available on vB 4 and you cannot afford to have patched for vB 4 there really is no reason to stick with 3.8.

The only caveat to upgrading now is vB 5 isn't too far off and you will have to pay again to upgrade to vBulletin 5 when it's released. It's not stopping me but it's something you may want to consider. I bought a new forum license a few weeks ago and am planning on upgrading an existing vB 3.8.7 license in the next few weeks.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
      • Feb 2009
      • 3.8.x

Dan, I did as you suggested and my templates seem to be okay, as there were no error alerts. Thank you again for your help at each stage of the update. You really made a difference for me.

I hear you when you talk about the various versions. I also saw your thread comparing Xenforo and vBulletin 4.2, and it made a big impression on me. Alas, my forum never took off and has very few users. It's definitely useful to a handful of people and we would miss it a lot if it weren't there. At present, however, I really would not be able to justify spending $175 on it.

If I could only figure out how to make it more popular, though, I would gladly wait and invest in vBulletin 5.

In any case, thank you again for your help.

Comment

• Big Dan
        • Jun 2006
        • 4.2.X

Dan, I did as you suggested and my templates seem to be okay, as there were no error alerts. Thank you again for your help at each stage of the update. You really made a difference for me.

I hear you when you talk about the various versions. I also saw your thread comparing Xenforo and vBulletin 4.2, and it made a big impression on me. Alas, my forum never took off and has very few users. It's definitely useful to a handful of people and we would miss it a lot if it weren't there. At present, however, I really would not be able to justify spending $175 on it.

If I could only figure out how to make it more popular, though, I would gladly wait and invest in vBulletin 5.

In any case, thank you again for your help.
        Your welcome. Glad to hear I've helped. I don't really blame you for not upgrading if my forum was a hobby I wouldn't have invested in new licenses either.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
          • May 2002
          • 1.1.x

I'm hoping to use PHPMyAdmin. Does that sound reasonable?
          I realize you've already upgraded, but I wanted to comment on this. phpMyAdmin, unfortunately, cannot be relied on to make database backups. Often times it will time out and you'll be left with an incomplete backup, which is a terrible thing because you'll probably only find out that it is incomplete when you actually need it. You can use cPanel to make backups if your server has it, otherwise you'll want to use MySQLDumper or something similar.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
            • Feb 2009
            • 3.8.x

Matthew, thank you for telling me about the PHPMyAdmin problem with respect to back-ups. That is obviously an important thing to know.

I'd like to thank you again for your help in this thread. Big Dan, Zachery, you and Mark.B are my heroes. What a wonderful thing to be able to come here and get help from such knowledgeable folks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...