X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zone 5
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.8.x

Upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8

We would like to do this upgrade, but I was wondering what will be lost from 3.6.

will we lose our custom styles?
    lose custom header/footer?

anything else major?

Thanks
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

The profile pages are different between those two versions, so you will need to redo any customizing on that page. You will need to update your style when upgrading to any version.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• zone 5
      • Oct 2003
      • 3.8.x

When you say profile page, I'm not sure what you mean?

and if I read your reply correctly, a style that we have that is changed with colors icons etc etc will go away, and I would have to totally recreate it?

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

The style will not go away. What I'm saying is that if you have edited any of the templates, you will have to manually upgrade the templates.

The profile page is member.php

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• zone 5
          • Oct 2003
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
          The style will not go away. What I'm saying is that if you have edited any of the templates, you will have to manually upgrade the templates.

The profile page is member.php
          Thanks for your help. Its been a while since I last upgraded, so I want to make sure I understand before I create a nightmare for myself.

edited templates means header/footer/navbar etc? So for example where I have added vB garage to the navbar, I would have to go back in and do it again?

But the custom styles will stay the same? Like on the Main CSS where colors have been totally changed. That will stay?

Also, I remember that when we last did a major update, vB had a service to do it. Do thye still have that? I didn't see it in the members area.

Thanks Lynne!!!

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by zone 5
            edited templates means header/footer/navbar etc? So for example where I have added vB garage to the navbar, I would have to go back in and do it again?

But the custom styles will stay the same? Like on the Main CSS where colors have been totally changed. That will stay?
            Yes and yes.
            Originally posted by zone 5
            Also, I remember that when we last did a major update, vB had a service to do it. Do thye still have that? I didn't see it in the members area.

Thanks Lynne!!!
            Yes, they still have that. You need to login to the members area first and then you should see your licenses listed on the bottom of the purchase page. I think you hit the Continue button and then you will have the options to order Professional Installation services (which is the Upgrade service). They will not upgrade your modifications or styles for you though.

The best thing to do is to set up a test site using a backup of your live site database and do the upgrade on that first. Then you can see exacly what will happen.

Comment

• zone 5
              • Oct 2003
              • 3.8.x

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• zone 5
                • Oct 2003
                • 3.8.x

Yes, they still have that. You need to login to the members area first and then you should see your licenses listed on the bottom of the purchase page. I think you hit the Continue button and then you will have the options to order Professional Installation services (which is the Upgrade service). They will not upgrade your modifications or styles for you though.
                I see this. Only problem is that they only have the options to go to version 4.x which we don't want to do. However, I believe my host will help on this.

Thanks so much for your time.

Comment

• zone 5
                  • Oct 2003
                  • 3.8.x

Lynne,

we are taking your advice and making a test site to do this. My question is about the upgrade. Are there directions somewhere on what I need to do when uploading files? or can you point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to upgrade to 3.8.

Thanks

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

Have you read this in the manual? Upgrading vBulletin

Comment

• zone 5
                      • Oct 2003
                      • 3.8.x

Have you read this in the manual? Upgrading vBulletin
                      Thanks Lynne! I couldn't find that manual, I could only find the upgrade to 4.x stuff. Appreciate your help as always!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...