Moving forum to another domain

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Feb 2007

Moving forum to another domain

I think of moving а forum to another domain.
    I wanted to replace in the dump file all occurrences of the old domain name with the new domain name with a text editor. This would replace everything including links in posts etc. But I can see some strings that have "i:" and "s:" parameters in them and I know that "s" corresponds to the length of the following string and I don't know what "i" is and I wonder if this will work according to my idea.
    I have read about cookies etc. Any information will be helpful.
    Last edited by 001; Sat 24 Dec '11, 1:44am.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

I'm not really sure where you are seeing i: and s:, if you mean the SQL Dump files you most deffinitely should NOT try editing this directly.

Simply chaneg the domain settings in your Admin CP -> vBulletin Optons -> Site name/URL/Contact Details.

If you want to replace the domain name in your posts go to your customer area on vbulletin.com, download Impex, and inside Impex zip file is a tool called cleaner.php. It has instructions on how to run it- it will replace any string in your posts with a new string you specify- this would be the best way to change the domain in your existing posts.

Comment

• Feb 2007

They can be seen in some tables.
      I've done editing the dump file before but with another forum, not vbulletin, and it worked but now the case is different.
      There are many mentions of the old domain name - in settings, bbcode, plugins, announcements, notices, all styles, templates, ranks etc. I suppose that after changing manually all of these, I can use a text editor for the others but I will check cleaner.php. It would be good if I could change it in one step as before...

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

Tip for the future - if linking to images for anything, use relative paths and not full URLs so that you don't have this issue...
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• 04Venom
          • Apr 2010

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I want to make sure I am clear before I embark on a similar journey. My current URL is www.ohiosvt.com I'd like to change it to www.ohiomuscle.com or something along those lines. Are the steps outlined in this post enough to do this? The ohiosvt.com URL is a existing VB forum. I forgot to mention this is a Vb4 forum. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Yes:

- Change the details in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details first
            - backup and move the database to the new domain
            - move the files
            - update the URL in the Members Area for that license specifically
            Vote for:

Comment

• vicius_the_one
              • Dec 2010
              • 4.1.x

moving domain

hi. I also want to move my passatb5.ro to passatforum.ro. I alredy changed email notification and banner. Right now by accessing passatforum.ro you'll be redirected to passatb5.ro
              what did you mean when you said "- backup and move the database to the new". How can I move the database? In my server's cpanel i have full acces. I already set the new domain and I created it's path onto server's disk. By moving entire content of passatb5.ro to passatforum.ro's folder do I stil have to work on database? I have to set the database somehow in server's cpanel or the setting in my vB admin should be enough?

How can I update my old links to new ones. I reffer to links used in post that, by moving to the new domain, would be no longer usable?
              Thank you.
              Come into my world...

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                • May 2002
                • 1.1.x

Use this query:
                Code:
                UPDATE post SET pagetext = REPLACE(pagetext, 'http://www.olddomain.com/', 'http://www.newdomain.com/');

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

If the domain name is changing but the cpanel (hosting account) remains the same all you need to update is the Forum URL in the Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details.

You'll probably want to update other settings on the page (if you have any URLs setup) and you may want to edit your Email Settings as well. Basically what I said in Post # 2.

Comment

• travmorgan
                    • Oct 2012
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
                    If the domain name is changing but the cpanel (hosting account) remains the same all you need to update is the Forum URL in the Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details.

You'll probably want to update other settings on the page (if you have any URLs setup) and you may want to edit your Email Settings as well. Basically what I said in Post # 2.
                    What can you do about people have have pics saved as their attachments in attachment manager? Just keep an old directory of the old folder with pics to reference? I am switching domain names, but same hoster and server. Thanks! Just trying to avoid any gotchas. I also heard you need to do the cookies: AdminCP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Aug 2002
                      • 5.7.X

Please start a new thread with full details of any issue you're having.
                      Vote for:

Comment