X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • todd222222
    • Mar 2003

Restoreing from failed server

Background:
    Started a site about 10 years ago. Was rather active and had to move to a dedicated server. Server was unix running cpanel and WHM. Had one account on it for forum site.

About 5 years ago grew tired of site so gave to another person. They had a tech person who kind of help, but I've learned that about 2 or 3 years ago the tech person stopped helping. The owner has no idea how to manage the server and site.

A couple of days ago the server failed and would not book. Due to the ask of the server and their desire to retire it the hosting company moved them to a new server. Because it was a dedicated server backups were the responsibility of the client.

The new owner has asked me try and get the site back up.

As far as I can tell no off server backups have been made. (let this be a warning)

The hosting company has taken the primary harddrive from the old server and attached to the new server via USB. Once I get what I want off of it they will hook up the secondary harddrive.

I've managed to find the webfiles and have them moved to the new harddrive (site on new server), but I can't find the harddrive. Maybe on the secondary drive, but I don't want to have the company switch out the drive until I know I'm done with it.

I'm barely able to get around unix, I've not used it much in the last 5 years...but I learn quick and I've done okay so far.

Questions:
    1. If backups were setup in cpanel where are they normally stored on the harddrive?
    2. If no backups, is there a way to restore the actual database files to a new database?

Thanks in advance.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

1. That is up to the server - you would need to ask the host.

2. If there is no backup and you are missing some tables, there is no way to bring them back.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• snakes1100
      • Aug 2001

WHM - By default the backup system is DISABLED, if the system was enabled & its default storage location unchanged, it would be in /backup

Cpanel - By design, this has no automation, its manual & the use has to click the backup to start a system backup for that account, then it is downloadable or stored on the system in the /home/username dir.
      Gentoo Geek

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...