Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert Fogt
    • Nov 2005

3.8.4 PL2 to 3.8.7 PL3

I currently have 3.8.4 PL2 installed and at the top it shows latest version is 3.8.7 PL3. But when I download full version it says 3.8.5, so then I guess I need to also download 3.8.6 PL1, 3.8.7 PL3 and apply each in order? Why isn't the latest version download include all patches?

Sorry for the questions but it doesnt say if just downloading the latest version is enough.

Robert
    OnlineConversion.com
  • Robert Fogt
    • Nov 2005

I guess I wasn't too clear. Will I be secure with 3.8.5? or should I stick with 3.8.4 PL2?

My website is constantly getting defaced and vBulletin 3.8.4 PL2 is the only dynamic program installed. Changing server passwords did nothing.
    OnlineConversion.com

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

Patches are fixes to current versions and carry the PL (Patch Level) suffix to the version number. Different version numbers (i.e. 3.8.5, 3.8.6 and 3.8.7) are upgrades, not patches. As such, you need to have a license that was not expired at the time these were released to get these. During vB3 times, you had to renew your license annually to obtain access to newer release numbers, if you didn't renew, you didn't gain access. That stopped in September 2009 when vB4 became our active licensed product. However, we did offer a Maintenance Pack for a period of 8 months up to the end of March 2011 which did the same as the old renewals system - all customers were emailed three times regarding this pack and messages added to the 'AdminCP News' to alert customers.

To now gain access to later versions of vB3, you would need to upgrade your license.
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

Basically you have an old an insecure version of vBulletin installed. Only VB 3.8.7 is currently patched against all security exploits and the only way to get it is to purchase a license upgrade to VB 5 for $209. With the VB5 license you can download VB 3.8.7 instead and use that if you wish.

If you previously installed the VB 3.87 Patch 3 (which you do have access to since it is a patch) it may have changed your version number but it didn't truly upgrade your software- you should only install patches for the version you currently have installed.

The above aside, I would still bet if your site is getting defaced it is more likely an exploit in a 3rd party modification then the vBulletin software itself.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...