• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevo_s
    • Jun 2008
    • 3.6.x

upgrade and config.php query

Hi - quick question as regards upgrade instructions for 3.8.5

Upload all files from the 'upload/' folder in the zip, with the exception of 'install/install.php'. Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor.

Open your browser and point the URL to http://www.example.com/forum/install/upgrade.php (where www.example.com/forums/ is the URL of your vBulletin). You should now be automatically forwarded to the appropriate upgrade script and step.
    Do you need to fill in config.php fully before you run the upgrade script or will it do that in the process of upgrading. Don't get why it says open in text editor.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Normally you can just use your old config.php file if it's working.

I still use one from 3.7-ish and I'm running 4.1!
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• stevo_s
      • Jun 2008
      • 3.6.x

but if you are uploading the 3.8.5 config.php that hasn't been filled in surely that will wipe out your current config.php that is filled in on the server? or are the setting help in the DB for the upgrade process and it will write into config.php?

bit confusing.

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

If you are upgrading, you dont need to touch config.php
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• stevo_s
          • Jun 2008
          • 3.6.x

ok - so I don't even need to upload config.php? or it should be uploaded but don't input anything?

strange that it says to upload it in the instructions. Only thing it says not to upload is install.php

Comment

• borbole
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by stevo_s
            ok - so I don't even need to upload config.php? or it should be uploaded but don't input anything?

strange that it says to upload it in the instructions. Only thing it says not to upload is install.php
            You can skip the upload of the config.php file. The upgrade will be done just fine. But if you upload it, then you should fill in the db infos otherwise you will get a db error.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by stevo_s
              Assuming you are uploading them to the same location (i.e. over-writing the current files) then no, you dont need to rename or upload it - the existing one will be fine, and continue to be used.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• stevo_s
                • Jun 2008
                • 3.6.x

ok thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...