Can't download 3.8.5 (or renew my 3.x licences)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kat
    • Nov 2001

Originally posted by ErnieTheMilk
    Why will I not be able to use it?? It's an 'owned' licence, I may not like it but as I understand it I can still use it for as long as I want, I just won't be able to upgrade any more!
    Oh, it will be legal for you to use but eventually it will not function. Think of Windows 3.1 or one of the first Netscape browsers.... if you were trying to use one of those today to get on the internet or whatever, you would not get very far.

As new technology replaces the old, eventually our software will cease to work. Probably in dribs and drabs to begin with.

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Unless of course your renting something like a Dedicated Hosting package and have full control over "PHP, MySQL" version installed on it. If you do, there never need be any reason why your forum would break in the future. But of course Dedicated Hosting where you have full control doesn't come cheap.

Think of it like this, you could even install PHP and MySQL version on it to still support vBulletin 2 today.

Comment

• jononline
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by kOsMos3D
        Another thing. Now I cant even sell my old licenses because there is no price room for the buyer to make it worth for them, that means my old licenses are worth less than $20 each!!

They can just buy the full v4 for $195 directly. Since I already spent $360 for 2 licenses, I am not going to spend another $350 on upgrades. As a matter fact this is the best point how the new pricing has shafted the old customers. I am only getting $20 break on the upgrade price!

If someone doesnt understand how your old license is worth less than $20 then let me explain.

3.x Full License = $160-$180
        4.x Upgrade = $175
        4.x Full License = $195

$195-$175 = $20 ( This is how much price room there is to play with the buyer or your savings if you were to buy the full license and as you can see not a whole lot!)

I may not be a genious but I am not dumb to spend full price on upgrades again. This upgrade should have been set at no more than $60. In conclusion I doubt I will ever upgrade and eventually I will implement other solutions for my business needs.
        No im with you 100%, Jelsoft are scamming people. They wont let us upgrade to 3.8.5 without paying for 4.0. We dont want 4.0, they can jam that where the sun dont shine!, we want 3.8.5 ONLY, and that should cost no more than $30

If it cant be done, then expect an MASS exodus by the community away from this forum software. Its pretty evident its already begun

Comment

• jononline
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by raynexeo
          Did you really just use Windows as an example? Hey genius once you purchase Windows Vista you now own Windows Vista and all the updates that come with it.

In this case we purchased vb long ago and now are being forced into version 4. They're saying if you want the rest of the updates for 3.x you have to buy 4 well that's like Windows saying, hey if you want the rest of the updates for Windows Vista you must now purchase Windows 7.

How does that make sense?
          Yep this is total ASS. Its called a SCAM plain and simple, they are screwing their old customers over

Comment

• jononline
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ace
            Because many of the people who have paid the $175 for the sole purpose of being able to upgrade to 3.8.5 already would be up in arms, demanding a refund of the difference in what they had paid?
            Well whos fault is that?? Plain and simple, if you guys couldnt THINK at the start maybe you shouldnt be running a business. Your reply shows your total ignorance!

Your customers knew what to do, and I have a sneaky feeling that jelsoft knew what to do, but they made a decision not to.. so they could CASH in. Yep actions speak louder than words

Comment

• ENF
              • Apr 2002

@Jononline: vBulletin has a Multi-Quote feature for a reason.
              Last edited by ENF; Wed 23 Jun '10, 7:53pm.
              To be updated...

Comment

• jononline
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ENF
                @Jononline: vBulleitn has a Multi-Quote feature for a reason.
                And JELSOFT has a brain for a reason.. but I wonder why they dont use it

Comment

• ENF
                  • Apr 2002

Originally posted by jononline
                  And JELSOFT has a brain for a reason.. but I wonder why they dont use it
                  Don't see how that applies to my post directed at you.
                  To be updated...

Comment

• Tourmeister
                    • Sep 2005

I just want to be REAL clear.

My OWNED license for VB3 expires at the end of Aug 2010.

I have downloaded, but not installed VB 3.8.5 and am currently running 3.8.1.

When my owned license expires, I will still be allowed to keep my forum running on VB 3.8.1 indefinitely without having to pay any new fees, right?

If I ever get around to it, even after my current license expires, I can still use the 3.8.5 I have already downloaded to upgrade right?

If I understand this correctly, I can even still use the VBulletin.com forums indefinitely, but just not the official "Support" features. (at least until they remove all the VB3 stuff from the forums...).

Like many here, I have no desire to upgrade to 4.0, at least not yet. All I want is the forum features and I have no need for all the other "community" stuff.

Lastly, IF I were to pay the new fee for a VB4 license, does that ever expire such that I would be required to shut down my forum?
                    Scott Friday
                    Two Wheeled Texans

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Tourmeister
                      When my owned license expires, I will still be allowed to keep my forum running on VB 3.8.1 indefinitely without having to pay any new fees, right?
                      Right.
                      If I ever get around to it, even after my current license expires, I can still use the 3.8.5 I have already downloaded to upgrade right?
                      Right.
                      If I understand this correctly, I can even still use the VBulletin.com forums indefinitely, but just not the official "Support" features. (at least until they remove all the VB3 stuff from the forums...).
                      Yes.
                      Lastly, IF I were to pay the new fee for a VB4 license, does that ever expire such that I would be required to shut down my forum?
                      It would not be required.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Tourmeister
                        • Sep 2005

Thanks... I feel MUCH better now. For a while there I was worried. I've had my forum up for seven years and have over 12000 members now. I would get a LOT of grief from my users if we had to make major changes, or worse, shut down the site for ANY length of time, hehe.
                        Scott Friday
                        Two Wheeled Texans

Comment

• beishe8
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4.2.X

Just an advice: Check if there are available upgrades to any modifications on your board,and if possible upgrade your forum to 3.8.5

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Aug 2002
                            • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Tourmeister
                            You can still use the ticket system if you have an owned License, all that expired is your access to download newer versions, not the support.
                            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• beishe8
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                              You can still use the ticket system if you have an owned License, all that expired is your access to download newer versions, not the support.
                              Trevor,I don't really understand that.
                              Why is it necessary to buy support for the vB4 Classic forum version if you want to get it after one month of the purchase?

• Indefinite software license
                              • Free updates for this version
                              • Discounts for next version upgrades
                              • Free forum support
                              Bulk Pricing

LicensesCost Per0 - 2 $195.003 - 5 $185.006 - 10 $175.0011 - 24 $167.0025 - 49 $158.0050 or more $150.00

Support by email & online support ticket system, for one year. Cost is $80.00
                              Is vB3 supported for life by the email & ticketing system?(Without the impossible renewal)

Comment

• Ace
                                • Apr 2004
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by jononline
                                Well whos fault is that?? Plain and simple, if you guys couldnt THINK at the start maybe you shouldnt be running a business. Your reply shows your total ignorance!

Your customers knew what to do, and I have a sneaky feeling that jelsoft knew what to do, but they made a decision not to.. so they could CASH in. Yep actions speak louder than words
                                Even better ignorance/irony, I don't work here. I'm one of the people who would be up in arms.
                                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...