Can't download 3.8.5 (or renew my 3.x licences)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjh411
    • May 2007
    • 3.7.x

Can't download 3.8.5 (or renew my 3.x licences)

I have three vBulletin 3.x licences (purchased outright) which expired mid 09. I now want to update one of them from 3.8.1 to 3.8.5 but cannot see any option to pay the annual support fee so I can get 3.8.5 version.

There's no way I'm buying 4.x licences at $175 because I don't want to move to 4.x

Am I missing something or is Jelsoft trying to force existing customers into buying an product they don't want or need?
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by kjh411
    There's no way I'm buying 4.x licences at $175 because I don't want to move to 4.x
    You don't have to move to 4.x, you can stay with the 3.8.x branch until it goes End Of Life.

You DO have to pay for the upgrade though.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• vijayninel
      • Mar 2009
      • 3.8.x

Your only option is to buy a vB4 license. Its a take it or leave it thing.
      www.erodov.com :cool:

Comment

• kjh411
        • May 2007
        • 3.7.x

Thanks guys I think I will leave it. It's just not worth it.

I'm very disappointed by Jelsoft's approach to this. They clearly couldn't care less about their legacy customers.

Comment

• kOsMos3D
          • Jul 2006

I also want to upgrade to 3.8.5 which as I remember it was only $30 for the upgrade. I have 2 licenses and no matter how much I like this software I am not going to spend $400 on upgrades to v4. I can download phpBB for free instead. If you guys can add the option which it should have been already added in the first place to let me upgrade to 3.8.5 then that would be awesome.

Cheers!

Comment

• kOsMos3D
            • Jul 2006

Here is the reply I got from support...

There is no 3.8.5 license. You would have to upgrade your license to vB4, after which you can access and upgrade to 3.8.5.
            Why would I want to upgrade to v4 and then downgrade to v3.8.5, not making sense here because the upgrade to v4 costs $175 and as I remember I paid $180 or was it $160 for v3.5 with the option of having able to renew my license for an extra $30.

If this was my first time buying vBulletin then the pricing is somewhat fair but $175 for an upgrade? If you ask me this is way too high. Lets assume I upgraded to v4 then how much will it cost to re new the license / upgrade again? Another $175? I think Jellsoft needs to get their pricing right.

Comment

• Ace
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by kOsMos3D
              Why would I want to upgrade to v4 and then downgrade to v3.8.5, not making sense here because the upgrade to v4 costs $175 and as I remember I paid $180 or was it $160 for v3.5 with the option of having able to renew my license for an extra $30.
              You upgrade the LICENSE to version 4, then download the 3.8.5 software. You don't have to upgrade your forum to 4, then back to 3.8.5. Those prices and options no longer exist.
              If this was my first time buying vBulletin then the pricing is somewhat fair but $175 for an upgrade? If you ask me this is way too high. Lets assume I upgraded to v4 then how much will it cost to re new the license / upgrade again? Another $175? I think Jellsoft needs to get their pricing right.
              You do not have to pay any more money for upgrades until version 5.
              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by kjh411
                They clearly couldn't care less about their legacy customers.
                They're keeping me relatively happy.

Comment

• kOsMos3D
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Ace
                  You don't have to upgrade your forum to 4, then back to 3.8.5.
                  You are giving me advice as if I didnt know how to turn on a computer.

Comment

• Ace
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.2.X

You are giving me advice as if I didnt know how to turn on a computer.
                    You're making comments as if you think you have to downgrade.

Comment

• kOsMos3D
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Ace
                      You're making comments as if you think you have to downgrade.
                      No, my comment is pretty very clear. But if you were thinking that I am a computer noob then you would read my comment thinking just that. Let me assamble the words in a different pattern that might make more sense. What would be the point of renewing the license to v4 for $175 and downloading 3.8.5 instead? I already paid $180 for each full licenses. Do you see my point? The pricing for this upgrade is WAY OFF. There is nothing so special about v4 that is worth spending the same amount of money I spent for a full 3.x license. Even v4 is still using tables, phpBB v3 does not use tables and it serves the same purpose as vbulletin but it is 100% free and writen by thousands of people. Wont be too long before phpBB dominates consumer choice for forum software. Software should be free or at least affordable for everyone and most of the money should be made on value added service.
                      Last edited by kOsMos3D; Sat 15 May '10, 3:03pm.

Comment

• kOsMos3D
                        • Jul 2006

Another thing. Now I cant even sell my old licenses because there is no price room for the buyer to make it worth for them, that means my old licenses are worth less than $20 each!!

They can just buy the full v4 for $195 directly. Since I already spent $360 for 2 licenses, I am not going to spend another $350 on upgrades. As a matter fact this is the best point how the new pricing has shafted the old customers. I am only getting $20 break on the upgrade price!

If someone doesnt understand how your old license is worth less than $20 then let me explain.

3.x Full License = $160-$180
                        4.x Upgrade = $175
                        4.x Full License = $195

$195-$175 = $20 ( This is how much price room there is to play with the buyer or your savings if you were to buy the full license and as you can see not a whole lot!)

I may not be a genious but I am not dumb to spend full price on upgrades again. This upgrade should have been set at no more than $60. In conclusion I doubt I will ever upgrade and eventually I will implement other solutions for my business needs.
                        Last edited by kOsMos3D; Sun 16 May '10, 2:46am.

Comment

• prisoner 24601
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 3.7.x

I hope to clear up some confusion:

* You pay your $175 and you can download 3.8.5 OR 4.0.x OR both. You can use 3.8.5 as your "production" forum and 4.0.x as your test forum until you've sufficiently worked out the bugs or just stay with 3.8.5. You'll have support for 3.8.x from vBulletin until 4.1 comes out, at the very least. (I asked this question to vBulletin staff awhile back.)

* Right before 4.0 came out, it was offered at a significant discount, which was slightly more than the cost of the 3.8.x yearly renewal fee -- and the offer was around for a long while. I told the guy that pays my forum's bills that and that we'd have full support of 3.8.x until 4.1 if 4.0.x didn't work out for us -- and the license upgrade was a good buy -- so we got it. I'm sorry you didn't avail yourself of that discount.

* The reason why vBulletin > phpBB is because vBulletin has real support staff that you can send tickets to and it's their job to resolve them. phpBB is all supported by their community. vBulletin also works better for large forums. Yes, phpBB CAN work with large forums, if you don't mind tweaking a whole bunch of things which you might not even have access to. (I used phpBB for years, BTB. It's good stuff, but a bit of a pain to configure.)

* Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if your vBulletin license expires, the only thing you can't do is just download any further upgrades. That's rather standard for software.

I think it'd be nice if vBulletin says to all the 3.x users that they can pay, say $90 to continue to have full support until 4.1 comes out. I also think it'd be nice if vBulletin provided free security/bugfix updates for 3.8.x users, regardless of their license status, but I don't remember seeing anything that said that they had to. If you did see something in vBulletin's 3.8.x EULA that said that they'd offer licensing for 3.8.x forever at a fixed price -- or something like that -- start a class action suit.

Comment

• Ace
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.2.X

What would be the point of renewing the license to v4 for $175 and downloading 3.8.5 instead?
                            All the ranting underneath this question aside, the answer is: Because it would enable you to remedy precisely the issue you have in your thread title - you would be able to download and upgrade to 3.8.5.

It's obvious that you are riled up about the price, but this continued ranting after you have been given the only correct answer serves to do little other than make it look like you came to rant and complain rather than ask the question. It's almost like you knew the answer, but wanted to make your point known and demand satisfaction.

Comment

• Ace
                              • Apr 2004
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by prisoner 24601
                              I think it'd be nice if vBulletin says to all the 3.x users that they can pay, say $90 to continue to have full support until 4.1 comes out.
                              But what about the people who aren't satisfied with 4.1? Same thing? 4.2? 4.x?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...