Can't download 3.8.5 (or renew my 3.x licences)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Would you be talking about the "FREE" Beta Testing releases? If so you didn't pay to use in the first place, so you are not tied into anything. After it went final later, which is what he's saying (that matters) because you now have paid for it. Is true, you get all free updates.

Comment

• Ace
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by MRGTB
      Would you be talking about the "FREE" Beta Testing releases? If so you you didn't pay to use in the first place, so are are you tied into anything. After it went final what he says (which is what matters) because you've now paid for it. Is true.
      So why doesn't my analogy work for all those people who took the vB4 upgrade without paying for it?

Any other scenario (such as the "I want to run 3.8.5 but I failed to upgrade prior to the Licensing Change" complaint), the post I quoted has no bearing on the situation whatsoever. The user refuses to upgrade to a later version of <whatever>, they will eventually run into problems. In THAT scenario, the company producing the product has provided an optional upgrade path, but the user has chosen to not take it.

How is that the fault of the company?
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

I see it plain and simple myself. There should be two options on the table. IB are more than well aware now, that many people have chosen to stick with using the vB3 branch for the time being and have no intentions of moving to vB4. So why not cater for those people better?

Sooner or later the vB3 branch will be shelved anyway, probably sooner rather than later. So why not offer a cheap upgrade option for vB3 users for now until that happens. Then if at a later date (after vB3 is shelved completely), those people decide to update their forum to vB4 when they feel happy about using it. They will have to pay the full £175.

It called looking after your old customers, and that's what's annoying people about having to pay the $175 just to update their boards to 3.8.5. Where is the loyalty????

Comment

• Ace
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by MRGTB
          So why not offer a cheap upgrade option for vB3 users for now until that happens. Then if at a later date (after vB3 is shelved completely), those people decide to update their forum to vB4 when they feel happy about using it. They will have to pay the full £175.
          Because many of the people who have paid the $175 for the sole purpose of being able to upgrade to 3.8.5 already would be up in arms, demanding a refund of the difference in what they had paid?
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Great excuse to use. I paid $175 only 2-3 months ago, but I would not be up in arms if they did that now. It's just my tuff luck, I choose to pay the $175 and hated doing it just to get my hands on certain vB3 branches. But that's the way the cookie crumbles, doesn't mean they shouldn't do it now and offer a better deal.

Anyway, IB should be more than used to people being up-in-arms around here by now.

IPB are doing it all the time, dropping the price and offering a special offer. Do you see people moaning there who missed that special offer by a week and paid more? Do you see them asking for a refund, No. They have no right to ask for a refund, the same way you or I don't have a right. You paid the going rate at that time, end of story. You don't have any valid reason later to ask for a refund just because they put a better deal on the table.

If you walk into a leather store and pay a £1000 for a sofa, then the next week see it on special offer for £500. Do you moan and demand £500 back. No, you don't. You just choose the wrong time time to buy that's all. And that's life I'm afraid! Do you hear them say, we can't drop the price to £500 because Joe Blog's paid a £1000 for it only last week. No, so what's so different here that IB couldn't do the same thing if they choose too?

This goes on every day all around you. I can walk into ASDA and buy a jar of coffee for a £5, then two days later they are selling the same coffee (2 for1) for the same exact price. Pay £10 for a DVD Movie, only to see it hit the budget shelf for £5 the next day e.t.c.
            Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 16 Jun '10, 12:27pm.

Comment

• Kat
              • Nov 2001

I am mostly frustrated because I do not even WANT what 4.x has to offer. Don't want it, don't need it. Yet I am going to be forced, at some point, to have all of that stuff I do not want and need. The insult to injury there is the horrific price I am going to have to pay for something I do not want. If I were still able to pay the fee that I CONTRACTED to pay when I first bought Vbulletin, that would not be as bad. At least I would have been expecting that. I never, ever expected to have to pay such a high price just to keep my software running.

Comment

• ErnieTheMilk
                • Dec 2005

So what happens with an owned license, does one still have to pay the upgrade to vB4 costs?
                Be Gentle - cos I really am this stoopid!

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

Yes, if you don't already have access to download vB4 with your owned license and are stuck with vB3 downloads only

Comment

• ErnieTheMilk
                    • Dec 2005

Sorry I don't understand... I paid sometime ago for an owned licence, and now I am going to have to pay another £109 for something I don't want???

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

If your owned license is older than 12 months old it will be due for a renewal fee being paid, which used to be $30. Because that's been scrapped now, if you want to gain access to download vB4, yes you'll have to cough-up £109 now.

Keep in mind though that £109 will only give you access to download vB4 forum only, and not the full vB4 CMS Suite which cost more than £109

Comment

• ErnieTheMilk
                        • Dec 2005

Thanks for the clarification, as an owned licence I think I understand now - I'll just stick with 3.8 and keep my money in my pocket

Many thanks again

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

What version of vB 3.8 do you have access to download though?

Can you download vB 3.8.5. Because that's the very last version released for 3.8 that comes with a fix to work correctly with PHP 5.3. Along with a few bugs fixes and a security fix.

Read this if you don't have access to that version: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-Now-Available!

And Yes, you would still have to pay £109 to download it, along with gaining access to download vB4.

Comment

• ErnieTheMilk
                            • Dec 2005

Yes, I've downloaded 3.8.5 and will upgrade my site over the next few days

I thought I may as well have the latest version before my upgrades run out

Comment

• Kat
                              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by ErnieTheMilk
                              Yes, I've downloaded 3.8.5 and will upgrade my site over the next few days

I thought I may as well have the latest version before my upgrades run out
                              I'm curious, what are your plans for your forum when your 3.8x becomes obsolete and will not function anymore? That's the part I haven't figured out yet.

Comment

• ErnieTheMilk
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kat
                                I'm curious, what are your plans for your forum when your 3.8x becomes obsolete and will not function anymore? That's the part I haven't figured out yet.
                                Why will I not be able to use it?? It's an 'owned' licence, I may not like it but as I understand it I can still use it for as long as I want, I just won't be able to upgrade any more!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...