X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • terryfavors
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

Upgrade V3.84PL2 to V3.85

I have V3.84 and would like to upgrade to V3.85 which I can download because my license is current, however reading the issues I need to be a programmer to up grade my software it seems like. I just wish the software upgraded like all the other software I own. I don't understand what revert template means nor do I care to learn I have a job. This is such a struggle to update anything.
    Don't mind paying but who do you trust to give our passwords, id's, etc!!
    Any suggestions for a dummieeeeee!!!!!

I feel better now!!!! Thanks, TF
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Which issues are you seeing? The upgrade is the same as always, http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade

Comment

• terryfavors
      • Sep 2009
      • 3.8.x

The only upgrade I ever did was the PL2 and all I had to do was ftp over the files. This upgrade talks about revert templates running a browser script answering questions etc. I have never did any of that and I'm scared to try until I'm more sure what I'm doing. I did remove all the free branding stuff by following the directions and did that ok. I have branding free license, lol. BUT the directions for upgrading I don't understand yet? Thanks and additional reading point me that way I will read read read!!!

Comment

• borbole
        • Feb 2010

You don''t need to be a programer or a coder to upgrade your vb forum. And doing the revert of the templates it is very easy, all it takes is a few clicks. The only thing I would advice you, if I may, is to make a thorough backup of your db prior to the upgrade and making sure that it is done properly.

Comment

• GamBun
          • Jun 2006
          • 4.2.X

When you go through an upgrade, just ftp everything like normal. Once you log into you AdminCP you will see in the news section of any templates (styles) that might need updating. If you only use the default versions of vBulletin then all you have to do is click on the revert link=> click yes, then it will revert automatically for you. If you're worried about a non-default template then you may need to contact the creator of the custom template for how to manually revert the templates (vBulletin doesn't support custom templates). I hope that helps ease you a bit more.

Comment

• terryfavors
            • Sep 2009
            • 3.8.x

Thank you so much I do have a customs skin and I asked where I got my skin, he sent me two small changes I think I can do. I'm thinking the skin change would be after everything is upgraded correct? I think I will try this soon, lol. thanks again!!!

Comment

• borbole
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by terryfavors
              Thank you so much I do have a customs skin and I asked where I got my skin, he sent me two small changes I think I can do. I'm thinking the skin change would be after everything is upgraded correct? I think I will try this soon, lol. thanks again!!!
              That is correct. The changes to the custom theme should be made once the upgrade is finished.

Comment

• terryfavors
                • Sep 2009
                • 3.8.x

Where are these two templates located I been looking around lot of stuff there, thanks, Terry

A staff member has replied to your question:

There will not be any major issues when you upgrade to 3.8.5. When you do, the FORUMHOME and navbar templates will need to be edited.

For the navbar template, find this:

<a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]do=markread">

Change that to this:

<a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]do=markread&amp;markreadhash=$bbuserinfo[securitytoken]" rel="nofollow">

The FORUMHOME template will also be marked as "outdated". There are no changes for you to make there, though. The "Mark Forums Read" link changed in 3.8.5, but we do not have this link on the Aquateen forum index. In order to clear the "outdated template" error from your AdminCP, simply go to edit the FORUMHOME - do not change anything, and click Save.

Comment

• borbole
                  • Feb 2010

The instructions they gave seem pretty straight forward. All you have to do is follow them and you should be all set.

Comment

• terryfavors
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 3.8.x

OK my host orginailly loaded my two forums the admincp and modcp where renamed for security reason. I have went to the new 3.8.5 files and renamed them to the names that I'm using on the forum this would be correct??? Yes? Thanks, TF

Comment

• borbole
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by terryfavors
                      OK my host orginailly loaded my two forums the admincp and modcp where renamed for security reason. I have went to the new 3.8.5 files and renamed them to the names that I'm using on the forum this would be correct??? Yes? Thanks, TF
                      Just make sure that the names of the admincp and modcp folders match those at the config.php file.

Where it says:

PHP Code:
                      $config['Misc']['admincpdir'] = 'admincpfoldername';
                      $config['Misc']['modcpdir'] = 'modcpfoldername'
                      Where admincpfoldername and modcpfoldername stand for the new renamed names of the folders in question.

Comment

• terryfavors
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Upgrading from a previous version of vBulletin 3

Close your board via the Admin Control Panel.
                        Upload all files from the 'upload/' folder in the zip, with the exception of 'install/install.php'.

Do I delete the install.php file before I upload? It will not be needed at all?

Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor.

So I cannot keep my current config.php? YES R NO? Why would I open it in a text editor would I be changing something?

I understand this part below.

Open your browser and point the URL to http://www.example.com/forum/install/upgrade.php (where www.example.com/forums/ is the URL of your vBulletin). You should now be automatically forwarded to the appropriate upgrade script and step.
                        Follow the instructions on the screen. Make sure you click next step or proceed until you are redirected to your Admin Control Panel. Here, you can reopen your board.

I sincerely appreciate all this help, Terry

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

You can safely delete install.php, you won't need it.

And yes you can keep your old config.php, no need to change that.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• terryfavors
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                            You can safely delete install.php, you won't need it.

And yes you can keep your old config.php, no need to change that.
                            Wow that will make it easier for me thank you so much.

Comment

• terryfavors
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 3.8.x

I did my upgrade all went well I could not have done it if you guys did not answer all my questions thanks so much it is greatly appreciated.

I have one more forum to upgarde and that form has VBSEO installed will that make any difference on my upgrade??

Thanks again, TF

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...