• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Welshy
    • Jan 2008
    • 3.6.x

Any SmartFTP USers here? Upgrade from 3.8.1 to 3.8.4 PL2 -

Hello All,

The SmartFTP shown Here in the vB Forum Upgrade instructions, is an OLD Version.

The "Overwrite" has been long since, dropped. This was confirmed to me by "mb" the creater and owner of SmartFTP.

He recommended that we use the "Merge" option.

Can anyone tell me, that uses the SmartFTP, if they use the 'Merge' to upgrade their forum, Please? (Ie: I need upgrade my 3.8.1 to 3.8.4 PL2, and I do not want to lose any info on my database etc).
    Thanks for your input.

This is the first time that I have ever had to upgrade, and am nervous of losing vital data etc from my forum.

Many Thanks all Input and Help.
    www.Talk.ElectricianForum.co.uk - The UKs Leading and Most respected Electricians Forum.
  • Super Jinni
    • Feb 2008

To be safe, before upgrading anything you should do the following:
    1- Back-up both your database.
    2- Make a copy of your forum folder as a back-up for possible future use.

Regarding SmartFTP I used once and it's really nice but it costs money, so I use FileZilla Client because it's fast, simple, and free.
    merging in SmartFTP might be just like merging in windows, so the the folders with the same names will be merged, but the contents of the older folder will be replaced with the contents of the new folder contents which have the same name as the older ones.

I think you should test that with some folders (other than your live forum folder).
    You can upload some folder with some contents, then change some thing in the contents files the re-upload the folder again merging the new folder with the old one and see how it works.

Alternatively, Use FileZilla Client.

Comment

• Welshy
      • Jan 2008
      • 3.6.x

Thanks for your reply Jinni,

Yes, I purchased Smart FTP when I had my website created some two years ago. Evrything was done by a Web Designer. :_|
      www.Talk.ElectricianForum.co.uk - The UKs Leading and Most respected Electricians Forum.

Comment