Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinmanphp
    • Jul 2005

I need clarification:

Updating the forums to 3.8.4 PL2 is meant to force all users to login again.

Is this correct vB staffers?

I want to make sure this was expected from the development team and not something wrong that is happening with our software.

Thank you.

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

No, it was not meant to force all users to login again, it is an expected side effect of PL2.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• kevinmanphp
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Paul M
        No, it was not meant to force all users to login again, it is an expected side effect of PL2.
        Do you mean an "unexpected" side effect?

Comment

• alfisti.net
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.8.x

I have problems with my bridges which are based on the cookies.
          All bridges will not work since the update.

Can you please explain what you exactly changed?

BTW: All cookies are deleted by a user but no bridge (like coppermine or also own tools) will work anymore

I also tried to change cookieprefix in the config.php but this will also not help.
          In my test vb4 installation the coppermine bridge work fine with the PL.
          Last edited by alfisti.net; Tue 12 Jan '10, 12:08pm.

Comment

• alfisti.net
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

I fixed my problem by replacing the licence number to the new salt value from the functions.php in the bridges

Comment

• BAJR
              • Nov 2009

sorry to bother you... but I have just had this same problem... where suddenly my bridge with coppermine failed...

could you tell me what you did... I am sorry,

but I did not understand the bit about licence number and salt...

Comment

• alfisti.net
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by BAJR
                sorry to bother you... but I have just had this same problem... where suddenly my bridge with coppermine failed...
                Which Version of Coppermine, which of vB?
                vB 4.01 will not work anymore with coppermine 1.4x, at the moment I don't know why. I asked for the cookie-/bridge-relevant changes in the forum and I am waiting for a reply

Comment

• jl255
                  • May 2007

can the admins pls inform us once the bug with the members logging in is fixed? i cannot afford to upgrade till this is fixed. tks.

Comment

• jimjam
                    • Jul 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Hi there is no fix as far as I am aware. I think this will happen every upgrade point. Members just need to clear cookies, problem is most won't do it properly and you will have loads of moans.

Comment

• Paul M
                      Former Lead Developer
                      vB.Com & vB.Org
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kevinmanphp
                      Do you mean an "unexpected" side effect?
                      No, I mean exactly what i said - it was an expected side effect.

Originally posted by jl255
                      can the admins pls inform us once the bug with the members logging in is fixed? i cannot afford to upgrade till this is fixed. tks.
                      There is no bug to fix.

Originally posted by jimjam
                      Hi there is no fix as far as I am aware. I think this will happen every upgrade point. Members just need to clear cookies, problem is most won't do it properly and you will have loads of moans.
                      No, it will happen on the upgrade to PL2, and again when 3.8.5 is released, it should not happen again after that.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                        • Mar 2003

No, I mean exactly what i said - it was an expected side effect.
                        If it was expected, why weren't we notified in the announcement that the upgrade would invalidate all cookie information and along with it would force all members to relogin? In fact, in the announcement, it said, "The upgrade process is the same as previous patch level releases" - which is simply untrue, since no other patch level release before required all users to relogin after the upgrade.

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

I have no idea why it wasnt mentioned, I dont work for IB.

However, the upgrade process was exactly the same - there is no member involement in forum software upgrades - patch or otherwise.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                            • Mar 2003

I have no idea why it wasnt mentioned, I dont work for IB.
                            Then how do you know that it was "expected"?

However, the upgrade process was exactly the same - there is no member involement in forum software upgrades - patch or otherwise.
                            What are you talking about? An immediate effect of the patch (expected or not) was that ALL members were required to login again. You don't call that involvement? Giving my members instruction how to delete their invalid cookies that prevented them from logging again - also no involvement?

Comment

• Paul M
                              Former Lead Developer
                              vB.Com & vB.Org
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                              Then how do you know that it was "expected"?
                              Because I know how vbulletin works, as I suspect do the developers of it.

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                              What are you talking about? An immediate effect of the patch (expected or not) was that ALL members were required to login again. You don't call that involvement? Giving my members instruction how to delete their invalid cookies that prevented them from logging again - also no involvement?
                              Effect is irrelevant to the upgrade process. You can upgrade a forum that has no members - they are not a requirment, nor are they involved in the upgrade process.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                                • Mar 2003

Because I know how vbulletin works, as I suspect do the developers of it.
                                Good for you. I guess that means we can be all happy now. Until you mentioned it, I had my doubts that the developers knew how vB worked.

Effect is irrelevant to the upgrade process. You can upgrade a forum that has no members - they are not a requirment, nor are they involved in the upgrade process.
                                I hope at least you understand what you just said. I am sure all the admins out there who are plagued by locked out members who upgraded without a slightest hint of forewarning what the upgrade would bring to them will have the own opinion about that upgrade and its process.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...